Help playing my character sought (3.5 Cleric of Pelor)

RayPrancer
RayPrancer
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
My regular group has a weekly game of D&D 3.5, I'm going to refer to our main campaign as "Sangex vs Clercia" as it is a highly political game where a recent war between these two nations is prominent and is threatening to ignite again. In this campaign, I play Alfred of Quist, a Fighter 2/Cleric of Pelor 4 with the Healing and Sun domains. I also portray Derum of Rodney, a Paladin of Pelor 4 - though he's thinking of changing his name to Derek of Firefort as his original name is Clerican and we have sided with Sangex and everyone calls him Del anyway. Becasue there are only four of us in the group including the DM we often play two characters each.

On to the reason I started our thread - the party leader, a Rouge/Bard who holds titles to the lands where the party is building a city (called Firefort), has expressed some deeply troubling signs that she is either an agnostic or worse a Hextorite - I say worse as one of the other players has a Paladin of Heironious (although he also took levels of rouge for the character). We (myself and the player of the other Paladin) have been considering the possibility of getting her excommunicated - but have not approached the DM about this yet, and personally I think a final warning is in order. An option we've been considering is charging the leader character for spellcasting but giving it to the rest of the party - even healing spells which I'd normally provide free to those requiring them.

I also have recently acquired a Ward of the Chruch for the physical church I'm building in Firefort. We're on our way to Spellet, where our respective lieges are located (hers an Earl, mine a Bishop). Once I've dealt with the paperwork, what would you expect me to do about this as I intend to raise the child?

I'd also like more general advice on running at least Alfred - and if you have any suitable ideas Derum/Derek

Comments

• gaaran
    gaaran
    Well, for one, I don't think its very likely that a cleric of the god of healing would charge per heal, at least to their adventuring party, either they'll offer it because it's what they do, or withhold it because the recipient has done evil and is not worthy. From this, "even healing spells which I'd normally provide free to those requiring them." it sounds like you normally provide healing for free but charge for other spells to your group? If that's the case, then I don't think I can offer any advice, as that's an alien concept to me, for an adventuring party. If I'm misreading that however, you have a choice to make. If you have mature players and can handle the party being split up, then your character might indeed no longer be able to associate with an active follower of Hextor. Or you may play a non-evangelical cleric that allows everyone their own beliefs. As long as your character isn't aware of anything evil that the Hextorite is doing, even if you know they follow Hextor, then you wouldn't have to part ways - it being actions rather than words that define us. Lastly, if they're agnostic, that shouldn't be an issue; that they acknowledge a higher power, but don't subscribe to a particular one? That's most civilians in a typical fantasy setting.

Lastly, about your Ward of the Church, if it will be your sole responsibility to raise this child, it shouldn't be very hard, ensure they receive a church sanctioned education, have three meals and a shelter provided for them, and most importantly, make them feel like they are cared for and worthwhile. If you just shove them off on everyone in the church, they will begin to feel alienated and unwanted, two feelings which don't breed happiness.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Gaaran, absolutely sublime. That's some most excellent advice, and I couldn't have phrased it better at all!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Um...wow. I'm not sure I can be of much use here. In my game universe, a cleric of Pelor would probably be following St. Francis's advice of "Preach the Gospel always, and when necessary, use words". I think the harshest course of action a Vidrian Pelorian would take in this situation would be to simply stop associating with the person in question - that would be the last resort, and the notion of charging for spells would just be unconscionable unless that was part of the agreement that called you away from your domestic duties to travel with these adventurers. (Oh wow, just gave myself more ideas.)

If you are looking for a simple solution to this complicated problem, I'd look into using your Ward of the Church as an excuse for Alfred to stop associating with the party - Alfred is probably getting a bit miserable, and there is more to raising a child than dropping him/her with a nanny to do all the actual raising. If you guys need another cleric, figure out a way to cycle in somebody who will have less of a problem living with the bard-rogue - whether because it's a cleric of a more neutral god/dess or simply an individual who is less concerned about "who's yo' deity" (credit Tatsuya Ishida).

A pally might be able to justify being more aggressive about "so are you a devil-worshiper or just a heretic?", so if you are actively jonesing to have that in-game confrontation, I'd use Derek. No advice on him other than that.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I'm currently playing a 3.5 cleric of Pelor in a game, but I've created him to be pretty open to other beliefs (for example, Arcane magic use is frowned upon in the region, and more than that by most, but he looks at it as something that should be learned about and studied for intellectual gain rather than outlawed or shunned) and is actually more of a historian/intellectual than a fighter. "Can't we all just learn from each other?!"

Still...it's completely up to you, right? If you think your character wouldn't be able to get over another's beliefs or actions, then so be it...play him that way. I, too, think that the raising of the child would give your character a perfect "out" if you want it...adventuring is no place for a small child, and maybe it's time for him to settle down and do some rearing for a bit without the distractions of those he sees as heretics, as well.
  • RayPrancer
    RayPrancer
    Thank you everyone. It's now clear to me that part of the problem is how the third player (the one with the other Paladin) sees Alfred is not how I see Alfred but is how I should see Derek. This is probably best resolved by taking the advise in FemmeLegion's final paragraph.

However I don't think it helps that at one point the related out of character chatter turned to attacks on the DM's religion - so I think an apology is in order from me to him for my part in that.
    Post edited by RayPrancer on