Background Feature: Ideas?

calabacita
calabacita
edited January 2011 in General Archive
Hey Everyone!

After seeing the announcement of the added background feature, I'm thinking about submitting a couple backgrounds. One I want to be of a desert; I am currently in a Dark Sun campaign and I think my DM will like adding that to the campaign pages. I was wondering what else do all the OP users want to see? A stone background with torches? Temple ruins? I'm looking for more generic environments that many people can use. I would love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks!

-Nicole

Comments

• DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Those sound like great ideas!

I don't have any picture suggestions, but I just wanted to throw out a request. I have noticed that there are some cool backgrounds, but that only the sides are visible, so there is so much left out. For instance I LOVE the stone castle picture and would use it for an appropriate campaign, but most of the "goods" are hidden behind the site content. If you're going to spend time on a nice picture, please don't hide the best parts behind the site content (ie the middle of the picture) because I'd love to actually be able to see it. :)

You're the first person to mention on the forums that you'll be submitting to the contest and we've got quite a few artists here. I'm a bit surprised no one else has mentioned this. Anyways I am looking forward to seeing the new art.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Hey you're Nicole from Tuesday's with Nicole huh?

_Cool._

I have checked out your stuff in the past and I just want to say that you are really talented and thanks for sharing with us. I love to see people's art, especially when it comes straight out of someone's campaign world. It just makes the world come so much more alive. I wish I could draw and fill my OP pages with art, but my hands are like feet when it comes to drawing so I have to google image search and "borrow" images.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    * Steam-punkish gears?
    * The classic parchment, or a variant with a stack of scrolls or something that makes the content area look like it is a cryptic document sitting on a wizard's desk.
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    Some vaguely ominous shadows (since the art around the edges will be seen) projected across some bloodstained tiles/ stonework ? That way the imagination can fill in the blank part in the middle (what is casting the shadows).

But yeah, there are some talented people on here, kudos to all of you for making stuff available for the rest of us :)
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    Awesome ideas so far!

And thank you DarkMagus. I am that Nicole. I'm very glad you like my stuff :) I'll also keep in mind to keep interesting things to the outside panels so that people can actually see them. Anyone know about how wide the side panels are in pixels? I could make some guidelines to give me an idea where things get cut off.

I'm hoping that this thread will help give other artists that would like to submit backgrounds some ideas too. I think there are many great artists on OP that have talents better suited towards certain kinds of work such as steam-punkish gears that gnunn has mentioned. I'm much more painterly. There's someone out there that I bet can do awesome gears ;)
  • LonePaladin
    LonePaladin
    Don't forget those of us who are running campaigns in sci-fi settings. Something dark with scanlines would be an excellent background -- make the text match the color of the background (just brighter), and you can make it look like it's part of a computer interface, a la _System Shock 2_. There should be a few options for the color theme: blue, green, amber, and white would probably be best.

I'd also like to see this sort of thing extended to a general theme, that would affect not just the background picture, but also the text size, font, and color used. Currently, the only way to adjust these are to put tags in the entries, which can be easy to forget.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    I'd like to suggest something along the lines of a dark and sinister setting; something that might remind one of Orthanc or Barad-dur, as depicted in Jackson's rendition of The Lord of the Rings (for a popular example). A lot of GMs would like to run a campaign in a setting like that, and that would help set the tone.

That of course leads immediately (well, sort of) to an antithetical, open, spacious, palatial, heavenly background. Or perhaps something more reminiscent of _Paradise Lost_, which might take you full circle.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    Oh, and much thanks! From one who is er, uh, less artistically inclined (in real-time anyway), usable work is always worthy of much gratitude.