Thoughts? Too Distracting?

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but it only works when you have an image embedded in there somewhere. I tried it, and it actually shrinks all of the color to 10px. Not the text though. I got it to work with the rest of my pages, but I couldn't work it out for Kass's format. I had to re-invent Gnunn's sidebar to get it to work properly.
  • AdamDray
    AdamDray
    All better now! Yeah, I'm using Chrome. =D
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    I think I'm _quite_ late in this thread... But... The sidebar is awesome!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I am planning to create a sidebar for my Star Wars page as soon as I start my site refresh. I want to take advantage of all the new stuff I learned. But first, I'm gonna finish with adding the actual content to the wiki pages, as I stalled in those efforts when I shifted gears to get Wyrmshadow into shape.

Any ideas you might have for my Star Wars page would be greatly appreciated, folks. I want to think of a clever use for the sidebar, beyond simply having link redundancy beyond the edge of the main screen area.

"Duskreign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Duskreign

"Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Dusk! Idea! Inspiration! Why not do some sort of Data-slate for the side panel? It might be rather intensive, but I think it would be very cool to, say, click on a link on the Data-slate, then to be brought to a page that has more context specific information on the data slate. For example, you touch on Factions, get to the faction page, and the Data-slate shows various links to the different factions, which can bring you to the different faction sections of the page. A bit more intensive, but I think it'd work for the flavor of campaign.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I love it! Every page on Star Wars will have a context-sensitive side-panel. I was considering having a simple navigation panel on the right-side of the screen and a context-sensitive panel on the left side. Perhaps I can integrate the side panels into my banner and make it as if it is an inverted U-shaped frame around the top of the slate-screen. I want to continue to incorporate some sort of animation like the starfield gif in my current design. I'd love to have a few blinking lights fading in and out on the side panels. Does anyone know a way to make an animated gif that has transparency? I'd like to have a simple 25% opacity series of Aurebesh letters that fill in, blink, and disappear rhythmically, but don't outright block-out anything that sits beneath them.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I think you can do transparent Gifs...

...Even if you can't, maybe you can use HTML to set transparency... I have some ideas, but I'm leaving work, so I'll have to ponder them. I think that sounds spectacular, Dusk!
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Gifs only support one-bit (on or off) transparency normally. In modern browsers though, you could set opacity for a whole image using CSS, and of course you could always save out a movie with images that appear to fade against a fixed background color as an animated Gif with a bunch of frames. It would get big, potentially, but should get the job done.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    It's probably too excessive to concern myself with. I'll find an easier solution. It's just a design element, not anything worthy of too much effort.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Dusk - I've cooked up an example here that might be of interest to "you":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ragged-vestiges/wikis/rases-testing-area

I humbly present Transparent images a-la-mode. If you'd like a more thorough demonstration, let me know the effect you're going for and I'll get to work developing the code for it. (Also, the images you want used would probably be helpful :P)

Note - this may not work in all browsers. It does in mine (Firefox 3.6.12)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Hmmmmmmmm.....

:)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...It's a shame that we can't add SFX to the pages, because if we could, I would totally create "bip" and "boop" sounds to be played whenever links were selected on your datapad :P
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Grumble grumble great idea grumble grumble stupid limitations grumble grumble
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Maybe there's something we can do about that... Hmm. Probably not. Gah.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah. It sounds friggin b'dass, though. It is going to be a while before I can commit myself to the Star Wars project, but I am keeping notes on all the ideas, and doing some initial gewgulling for images and inspiration.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    You say gewgulling and I get awful confused as to what you meant, until I sounded it out very slowly, and moronically.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah. I'm pretty dumb that way.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Naw! I just get an F- for reading comprehenshun.
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    Now presenting: GEWGLE for the iPhail! XD
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Bwahaha
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Oh dear, I've now envisioned a new form of sea life: the Goo Gull.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    This thread hurts my head...I need to go lie down.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...I'm tempted to write up Stats for the Goo Gull - some sort of flying ooze?

...oh dear, that'd be terrifying.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I was thinking they were oracular birds that nested near a tar pit. But flying oozes would be awesome too, as long as I was on the DM side of them. ;)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I would have nightmares for -days- -weeks- -months- years after facing flying oozes. Especially the kinds that eat your equipment? WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
  • alexanderamazing
    alexanderamazing
    worked PERFECTLY. Thanks dude
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    sidebar works great
    is there a way to move it outside of the main text box. say to the far left of the screen.
    Post edited by Baalshamon on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I think the code was setup to float to the left side of the page - if you can link the page you're working on it on, and a link to the exact code you're using, I can take a look.
  • Slushpuppiet
    Slushpuppiet
    The chrome bug seems to be remedied by making the position absolute instead of relative (Line 1 = fixed, Line 2 = position absolute). Works on widescreen monitors as well, I assume because the workspace they provide you is itself relatively positioned, and by placing an absolute box in it just puts it absolutely positioned relative to your workspace.
  • Sorwen
    I'm trying to use the sidebar for my wiki pages without success. I combine Rase code with ChainsawXIV and all I get is the sidebar embedded into the page. I know it has nothing to do with the browser because I go to everyone elses pages and I see it working fine.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/return-to-the-time-of-troubles/wikis/main-page

Main Page
    Background

REFERENCES

People
    * Party
    * Status
    * Dead

* NPC Lists
    ** Campaign
    ** Realms

Rules
    * Character Creation