Revised Grappling Rules

Jennifer
Jennifer
edited January 2008 in General Discussion

Comments

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    I posted some revised rules for grappling in my House Rules section on the Party Wiki for Brave New World. I know lots of people have problems with the way grappling is done in 3.5. What are some specific problems people have?
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    Heh. Grappling wasn't so tough. Tripping was difficult for us to understand. It wasn't until weeks after I was playing a character that used a guisarme that we finally figured it out.

Looking back, all those rolls and modifiers are difficult to understand, sometimes even for experienced players, so I think the biggest thing is just the complexity. You can cast spells while being grappled, but you have to beat a concentration check, but your opponent can make a omg wtf check to block your casting. Its stuff like that I see wide eyed new players trying to figure out how to grab someone who is attacking you and do things to them.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    I've never had much of an issue with grappling. It was always sundering and disarming that gave us a hard time, but just recently, disarming sort of just "clicked". I honestly can't explain why I couldn't get it before, but now I don't seem to have a problem.
  • outrider
    outrider
    the rules compendium made the various processes clearer. Our group bought together to clear up various things.
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    Yea, the trusy rules compendium cleared things up right away. I was very impressed with it.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    I think the biggest issues with grappling always came from the fact that a medium creature *cannot grapple* a Huge creature, but the huge creature can grapple YOU. This doesn't exactly make sense when it's an opposed roll. There were some improvements when the whole "-20 to just hold the smaller critter with one limb" thing came about, but still when the sizes are disproportionate, you've got no chance.