Edit History

RobJustice
RobJustice
edited January 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Is there a way to implement a edit history similar to what wiki's have? Where it logs all the changes to a page and allows users to roll back to previous edits? This would be nice so I could see aspects of the pages that the players are changing on me.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I admit, it bothered me a little when I first started messing with the EY, because I wasn't seeing anything to indicate that it was me doing it.

I mean, I trust the folks with whom I'm gaming, but for some reason it makes me *nervous* when I realize how much I could possibly get away with. I guess that means I'm not evil yet.
  • arphid
    arphid
    Even beyond simple paranoia and revision checking, it would allow people to see how a character has evolved, what she was like during a specific session, and how places, NPCs, etc. get filled in over the course of a campaign. The system would automatically document the whole progression of a campaign instead of just a snapshot of its up-to-date form, and that sounds really cool to me. This feature is bog standard on most other wiki software, and I'd love to see it implemented here.
  • LunaticSage
    LunaticSage
    That's definitely a good idea. I've had experiences in the past where some flavor text or minor game changes have been made to our wiki. I didn't like just knowing who did it, but not having a record of what it was. Also, like Arphid said, it's a cool tool to see the evolutionary timeline of your characters.

--
    The Cool Tool
    LunaticSage
  • gnikrul
    gnikrul
    This is critical. I know of no other feature or function that could be more needed right now. Whether it be by a vengeful ex-player or even just one bad click or botched transfer, the complete inability to recover lost work of any kind is a serious issue.
  • Mazreal
    This is a good idea.
  • Mazreal
    Sounds like fun.
  • Figment
    Figment
    This would be excellent, with a small revision. GMs should have full rollback features, but players should only be able to rollback edits made by players. There are already enough "complaints about OP's player-trust requirement":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/forums/3/topics/771. Such a nod to these concerns would go a long way toward pacifying their complaints.
  • Ferdil
    Ferdil
    Really needed.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    I agree 100% gnikrul and this combined with the dysfunctional editing of wiki pages, where anyone can edit the same page AT THE SAME TIME with no editing lock, have more than once made me question the point of using Obsidian Portal at all, let alone referring to it as a "wiki".
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    I realize there may be some kind of backend reasons why this feature is difficult to implement, but I think it's probably the number one thing I'd like to see added to the site. If there's another thread talking about it in further detail, sorry I missed it! :-)
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    Also, it would allow someone to easily recover from a mistake or accident.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    This is coming folks... we are beta testing it very publicly now "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2359&page=1
    Might I add that it is awesome and works very well.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.