howdy fellow gamers

optimus_mush
optimus_mush
edited November 2010 in Player Lounge
how's it going everyone. i've been lurking around OP for a couple of months now. we set up a site when my old gaming group got back together again and we have been verrrrry slowly putting it to rights. i may need a little help with adding a few features as none of us are really that computer savy.

anyhow, i've been gaming for about sixteen-ish years, almost exclusively d&d. i split my time almost evenly between gm and pc. my favorite setting by far is planescape, although it has been a few years since i've had that particular pleasure.

i just want to commend everyone out there on the quality of the community that has been built here. i am very impressed with how helpful and genuinely kind everyone is in the forum threads that i have followed, and how passionate that they are to assist in the growth of our shared past time.

anyhow, cheers

Comments

• FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Welcome aboard, optimus_mush! It really is a great community.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Ahhh, Planescape! A pleasure to meet a fellow enthusiast! Welcome to the Portal! I hope you find your stay here to be quite comfortable! If you ever have any questions, just ask!

If you feel nostalgic, feel free to visit the good old setting "here!":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/planescape-campaign
  • Dyluth
    Dyluth
    It's a pleasure to have another gamer on the forum! Welcome and enjoy your stay.
  • optimus_mush
    optimus_mush
    thanks guys. i've been away for the last two days (BB King concert in Vancouver!). as i said, i'm not really computer savvy. how would i go about adding a very simple side bar to my home page? i really like what i've seen on some of the pages of other OP members. any help would be appreciated.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey there Optimus, looks like I joined the welcome wagon a little late, but I thought I'd try and answer your question. There are two different kinds of sidebars out there (that I know of). Grunn has created a tutorial on how to create basic "Wiki Side-Bar":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1109 that displays on the left-hand side of the screen. Also, Rase has innovated a way to make a side-bar display outside of the normal page borders of a wiki page (on the far left-hand side of the screen), and moreover to have that sidebar continue to display as you scroll up or down the page. You can find the thread where he and others discuss how to do this "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1561&page=2#Item_1.

I would suggest reading through both Grunn's tutorial and Rase's thread, determining which method you would like to employ at your own site, and then experimenting around with their instructions. If you run into any problems, just post a question at the appropriate thread and I'm sure someone will lend you some advice. At any rate, good welcome and have fun building your site.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • optimus_mush
    optimus_mush
    Thank you kindly, Arsheesh. I'll check those out tonight and give it a try!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Hey,

I've been missing for a while as well...well, not missing, just nothing to contribute. I have, however, been working on my character's journal/adventure log in the very game that Optimus is running right now. I'm one of the "not computer savvy" members of Optimus' "old gaming group" and also miss galavanting around the planes, though it honestly was more of a saunter most of the time. Honestly, my best Planescape times were just exploring Sigil.

Hey Optimus, I was wondering when you'd get around to introducing yourself to to the community. Maybe we should show them the site and see if there's some helpful suggestions out there? Maybe we're still embarrassed about how un-tech savvy we are? I've been doing what I could with adding pics and descriptions of locations, etc. but it sure isn't up to snuff with alot of stuff on the portal, hey? We'll get there, buddy.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Optimus. Welcome to OP. I echo your thoughts and observations about this community. You will get a lot out of it, I am sure.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• optimus_mush
    optimus_mush
    First off, Rase, your Planescape page is awesome. I won't mention how it makes me as wet as a high school cheerleader on prom night... again.

Arsheesh, thanks for the links. I've already put them to use in another campaign that I'm developing. I knew that I could count on you guys for some great advice!

Thanks to the rest for the warm wishes and for the very busy forum. It always gives me something to check on during a slow moment of the day. (very slow, as my abysmally prehistoric internet connection would have it).

Poutine. I like the character stuff you did. Good job. You're right, we gotta long road to haul though. See you tomorrow night.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Thanks Optimus!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hey, welcome welcome! Your page is looking pretty good, but I just wanted to let you know that you're having the same issue that we did when coming up with that sidebar. On Chrome is appears over the top of your page, rather than off to the left. I know my page works, if you want to take a look at the code and see what's different: "The Melekar Chronicles":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/melekar