Compact Stat Block

gnunn
gnunn
edited February 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
This weekend, I was inspired to create a textile-formatted stat block to use for my campaign's npcs and unique creatures. I was inspired by ChainsawXIV's "4E monster stat-block":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sanction/wikis/templates-and-tools but wanted to create something that utilized more compact Textile coding and which could be used in a 3.5 or 3rd edition campaign. Here's the code for anyone who wants to give it a try.

==table{font-family:arial;font-size:8pt;line-height:normal;width:350px;border:1px solid black}.==
=={background:#666;color:white}. | %*Creature Name*
_Creature Type_% |>. %*CR2*
*Alignment:* Neutral% |==
=={background:#ddd}. | *Initiative:* +3 |>. *Speed:* 40 ft. (8 squares) |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Hit Dice:* 4d8+12 (30 hp) | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *AC/tch/ff:* 20/14/18 _(-1 size, +5 Dex, +6 natural)_ | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Saves:* Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +4 | |==
==| *BAB/Grapple:* +3/+8 |>. *Space/Reach:* 10 ft./5 ft. |==
==|\2. *Attack* _(melee)_: Main Attack +7 (1d8+5) | |==
==|\2. *Full Attack:* Main Attack +7 melee (1d8+5) Other attack +7 melee (1d4+5) | |==
==|\2. *Special Attacks:* Special attack 1, Special Attack 2, | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Special Qualities:* Special quality 1, Special Quality 2 | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Abilities:* Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8 | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Skills:* Balance +8, Jump +15, Listen +5, Spot +3 | |==
=={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Feats:* Feat 1, Feat 2, Feat 3 | |==
==| *Environment:* Mountains |>. *Organization:* Domesticated |==
==|\2. *Treasure:* None | |==

and here is "an example":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/dire-ram of the finished product from my campaign.

Comments

• ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Added a link to this to the FAQ post. Nice work Gnunn!
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Thanks Chain!
  • Falchen
    Falchen
    That is really nice, I will start using it to pretty up any creatures I make, thanks Gnunn.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Glad you like it! Here's the code for a slightly more extensive version that I have developed for my PCs... as opposed to creatures. The main difference is the position of the ability scores at the top of the block and the inclusion of multiple attack options reflecting different weapons.

Here are a couple working examples "Kit, L7 Rogue":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-westerlands/characters/kit-pc , "Daethin, L7 Ranger/Wizard":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-westerlands/characters/daethin-pc

====

==table{font-family:arial;font-size:8pt;line-height:normal;width:100%;border:1px solid black}.==
    =={background:#666;color:white}. | %*Kit*
    _Human Rogue, 7_% |>. %*Level 7*
    *Alignment:* NG% |==
    ==|\2. *Abilities:* Str 10, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. | *Initiative:* +7 |>. *Speed:* 30 ft. (6 squares) |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2^. *Hit Dice:* 7d6+7 (45 hp) | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2^. *AC/tch/ff:* 17/13/17 _(+3 Dex, +4 Armor)_ | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Saves:* Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +4 | |==
    ==| *BAB/Grapple:* +5/+5 |>. *Space/Reach:* 5 ft./5 ft. |==
    ==|\2. *Attack:* _+1 short sword_ +9 (1d6+1 19-20/x2)
    or rapier +8 (1d6 18-20/x2)
    or dagger +8 (1d4 19-20/x2) rng. 10ft.
    or mwk hand crossbow +9 (1d4 19-20/x2) rng. 30ft. | |==
    ==|\2. *Full Attack:* _+1 short sword_ +7 (1d6+1 19-20/x2) and rapier +6 (1d6 18-20/x2) | |==
    ==|\2. *Special Attacks:* Sneak Attack +4d6 | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Special Qualities:* Evasion, Trapfinding, Trap Sense, Uncanny Dodge | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Skills:* Appraise +4, Bluff +12, Climb +3, Decipher Script +2, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +13, Disguise +10, Escape Artist +6, Gather Info +4, Hide +9, Intimidate +4, Jump +3, Move Silently +13, Open Lock +14, Search +11, Sleight of Hand +9, Spot +11, Tumble +5, Use Magic Device +8, Use Rope +8 | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Feats:* Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse | |==
    =={background:#ddd}. |\2. *Languages:* Common, Gnomish, Thieve's Cant | |==
    ==|\2. *Gear:* None | |==

====
    Post edited by gnunn on
  • Falchen
    Falchen
    Also very nice, one of my PCs wrote/modified an excel sheet for my pathfinder game and it has an export function which while not as compact works very nice:

"Jason Byrsodepsis, Paladin of Apollo":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/11944/characters/72641 or "Gwarryn Byrsodepsis, Druid of the Wilds":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/11944/characters/74512

The nice thing is, when they level up they adjust the excel sheet and repost the new export to keep themselves updated. I believe that there is a copy of the document in the forum page of my campaign, so I can get it if anyone is interested at seeing it.
    Post edited by Falchen on
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Falchen,

Oh, if only my players had the ability / motivation to do that! Most of my players are 1st-timers to tabletop gaming, and have only recently started independently updating their character sheets. Even after a year, they still frequently have basic questions about the mechanics of leveling.

I dig your sheet though! If you are interested in shrinking the size a bit, you might consider enclosing the exported stats within a ==== tag that establishes a smaller font size &/or type for the stat block. Unfortunately, when working with Textile tables in OP, you can set an entire table's font, but not it's text size... but if you're working outside of a table, it's totally customizable.

e.g.

====

Paste excel stat block text here...

====

With the above example, as long as the players don't mess with the enclosing tags, you should be able to compact the block a bit &/or set it off from the rest of the character page by adding a background color, border, etc. It would probably still take some tweaking as I don't know what the export process is like...
    Post edited by gnunn on
  • Dethstryke
    Dethstryke
    Gnunn - that format box is awesome. So is your Charlton Heston image for house rules. :)
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Hi.

This thread motivated me to create my own. I have one player who's a very motivated creator on my site, but the other's ... aren't.

Anyways here's my compact sheet. An example can be found here "Elshabeth":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/rotrllegacy/characters/elshbeth . The links are black with blue underline, and every key word in the description is linked to the pathfinder SRD for easy referencing.

table{font-family:arial;font-size:8pt;line-height:normal;width:100%;border:1px solid black}.
    {background:#666;color:white}. | *Character Name*

Race Class |>. *Level 9*
    *Alignment:* XX |
    |\2. *Abilities:* STR 99, DEX 99, CON 99, INT 99, WIL 99, CHA 99 |
    {background:#ddd}. | *Initiative:* +9 |>. *Speed:* 99 ft. (9 squares) |
    | *Hit Dice:* (9d9 +9) (99 hp)|>. *BAB/CMB/CMD:* +9/+9/+99 | |
    {background:#ddd}. | *Saves:* Fort +9, Ref +9,
    Will +9 (+/- modifiers) |>.*AC/tch/ff:* 99/99/99
    _(+9 Dex, +9 Armour, +9 Modifiers)_ |
    |\2^. *Attack:*Weapon +ATK DMG|
    {background:#ddd}. |\2^. *Special Attacks:* |
    {background:#ddd}. |\2. *Skills:* |
    |\2^. *Feats:* |
    |\2^. *Gear:* Xgp, Xsp, Xcp, items | |
    Post edited by ketherian on
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    @ ketherian: Well done! Also, do you create your own character art? I really dig the portraits!
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    @ gnunn -- Thanks. One of the players in my group is a graphic designer. He tends to find and modify art for the games. If you have a moment, he'd probably appreciate the praise ("Aubry":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Aubrey_/).

Ugh. The code I posted is awful. How do you post code in the forum so that bold and underlines aren't always converted into *bolds* and _underlines_ ?
    Post edited by ketherian on
  • Dethstryke
    Dethstryke
    At the bottom of the comment window, you'll notice there is a selection that says:

Format Comments as () Text ()Textile.

By default, Textile is selected. Change this to Text, and it will show what you type in the forums. This can be changed for posted comments by editing the post, which will allow you to change it to (Plain) Text
  • zalambar
    I wanted to copy a D&D 4E monster stat block to my wiki recently so I threw together a slavish imitation of Wizards' monster stat block in Textile.

table{background-color:#e8e4d2; border-spacing:0}.
    {color:white; background-color:#485330}. |\2{padding:1px 5px}. **Monster Name** |>{padding:1px 5px}. **Level # Role** |
    {color:white; background-color:#485330; font-size:small}. |\2{padding:1px 5px}. Size origin type (keyword) |>{padding:1px 5px}. XP # |
    |{padding:0 5px}. **Initiative** +# |\2{padding:0 5px}. **Senses** Perception +#; special senses |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Ability name** aura range; effect |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **HP** #; **Bloodied** # |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **AC** #; **Fortitude** #, **Reflex** #, **Will** # |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Saving Throws** +# |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Immune** # type; **Resists** # type; **Vulnerable** # type |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Speed** #, special move # |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Action Points** # |
    {background-color:#c8c6b0}. |\3{padding:0 5px}. **[Type] Power Name** (action; recharge) ? **Keyword(s)** |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. Reach; range, area, or targets; attack bonus vs. target defense; effect. Miss: effect (if any). Secondary attack or effect. |
    {background-color:#c8c6b0}. |{padding:0 5px}. **Alignment** |\2{padding:0 5px}. **Languages** |
    {background-color:#c8c6b0}. |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Skills** skill name +#, skill name +# |
    {background-color:#c8c6b0}. |{padding:0 5px}. **Str** score (+#) |{padding:0 5px}. **Dex** score (+#) |{padding:0 5px}. **Wis** score (+#) |
    {background-color:#c8c6b0}. |{padding:0 5px}. **Con** score (+#) |{padding:0 5px}. **Int** score (+#) |{padding:0 5px}. **Cha** score (+#) |
    |\3{padding:0 5px}. **Equipment** armor, shield, weapons, other gear |
    Post edited by zalambar on
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    For 4th Edition monster blocks, you might like "my monster card tool":http://omnichron.net/external/op/tools/mon.html, Zalambar.
  • zalambar
    ChainsawXIV, I'm actually a big fan of your tools and have found them very useful elsewhere in my campaign. Unfortunately in this case I wanted a page full of stat blocks and I didn't have a nice editor available at the time. Editing those 50 line monster cards inside OP's edit field was getting too painful so cutting it down to 17 made a big difference. The table layout also handles horizontal resizing pretty well. Unfortunately nether of these will let me change font sizes in a single line.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Gotcha. Added a link to the template in the FAQ.
  • Grisha
    Grisha
    This is an awesome example of a 3.5 character sheet:
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/character-sheet
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks for the 3.5 monster stat block which looks very cool. Most of my Monster work for my whole SHIMRING campaign is done but I will certainly utilize these improvements when designing my next campaign.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• gnunn
    gnunn
    Hey all,

I just wanted to throw out a quick heads up regarding the 3.5 stat block. I created it back before OP updated their Textile parser, and have noticed that the new parser breaks some of the formatting, specifically regarding weapon to hit and damage numbers.

In the new parser, '+' signs are often interpreted as underlined formatting, so the phrase Atk +9 (1d6+1) winds up with everything between the plusses underlined. So far, the only way I have been able to correct this in the new parser is to add '@' symbols around the problem phrases (e.g. Atk @+9 (1d6+1)@ ) , so that they are interpreted as code phrases to be displayed as-is. This is an imperfect solution, as it fixes the underline, only to change the font of the table to OP's default for displayed code.

I tried futzing with the new parser for my campaign site, but eventually chose to set my wiki's default to the old version.
  • Alatheon
    Alatheon
    Uniformly using a space before each plus sign does eliminate the underline problem, although obviously it does give you extra spaces in the text.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Hey all,

I stole gnunn's character stat box (thanks gnunn) because our site has tons of info but not much flare and I'm slowly working on fixing that problem (along with Optimus Mush, who some of you may have briefly met...he only just introduced himself to the portal last week) We are not so good with code so we're having to rely on our portal friends for help. You're my friends, right?

Now, how do I get my bio stuff to go down the other side of the page (like ketherian's elshbeth character?)

see my character I'm experimenting with at:http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/16429/characters/brother-brandos-griffin

any other tips are always appreciated.
    Post edited by Poutine_Paladin on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Okay, never mind, I kind of like it in the middle. but I could still use some other interesting banner-type codes and maybe a couple ways to make buttons(links) that aren't just clicking on the words. Maybe I should start a new forum topic for that?