Gratuitous compliment thread

Comments

• photoneater
    photoneater
    So, I figured as GMs, we all enjoy an ego boost from time to time, and a thread like this could be appreciated.

The idea is to post here and compliment someone else from the site on something- their game, their character, their writing, their contributions to the community, or just their personality.

I'll go ahead and start.

I really think FemmeLegion is an awesome member, because she's very friendly, offers a lot of input, and is very enthusiastic about the games she is a part of. I would love to have a player so into one of my games!

Also, I want to acknowledge Micah and Ryan, just because of everything they do. It can be really hard managing day to day life and a campaign, let alone hundreds of campaigns. Furthermore, they always remain positive and try to be as accommodating as possible.
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    I'll spread the love I guess. First, lemme address Photoneater as he's the only "friend" I have outside of my Real Life (tm) group.

I like how you bring conversation to the forums beyond just a few lines of comment. Having someone who expounds on ideas, comments back, and offers personal insight is something I enjoy seeing in forums. The fact that you have a sense of humor is great too and since you're the only person to actually comment on my campaign, kudos.

Also on the forum level, Geekevolved has made some steller posts debating various topics that I've really enjoyed reading. Even if sometimes they run opposite of my personal views you give a great coherent posts that really make a person think along different trains of thought.

AidanDark has also made me laugh a couple times with little comments and I think you deserve credit for that.

Lastly I'll address my Real Life (tm) group members. Adino, HedgeDragon , and DanielVanHooser or DuskSprinter (Pick a damn name already!) all suck. The latter two (or three since Dan can't pick a name!) more so because they haven't actually go on this site yet. Oh, and Kirk would suck since he's not even signed up here yet but since he's named after James T. Kirk, I'll cut him a break. I'm sure he's far to busy with the green skinned ladies.
  • AidanDark
    AidanDark
    I'd like to give a shout out to the *Ohioans*(sp?) who make me jealous of their awesome campaign ideas and organization and of course to Photon for being community mod or whatever the heck he is doing these days ;)

I'd also like to give a "thank you for being here" to Jennifer because she seems like a really nice, enthusiastic person with a lot of great campaign ideas.

In general I really appreciate everyone posting on the forums (and their great campaigns) because on those rare occasions I'm not running to work or doing chores or actively working on the campaign (since I don't seem able to do spend less than 8 hours a week working on a game without it being a completely incoherent mess full of ideas but not enough linkage.) Er... I digress... It really makes me feel good to see this place getting more active and even if it isn't my baby like it is Micah's and Ryan's it is really a place that is starting to feel like home.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. I’d like to give a shout out to the Ohioans(sp?) who make me jealous of their awesome campaign ideas and organization and of course to Photon for being community mod or whatever the heck he is doing these days ;)

I'm actually just lulling all of you into a false sense of security so I can I go all 2e Psionics on your asses at just the right moment and forcibly "recruit" you all into my red-eyed horde.

bq. I’d also like to give a “thank you for being here” to Jennifer because she seems like a really nice, enthusiastic person with a lot of great campaign ideas.

Jennifer is pretty bad-ass.

bq. AidanDark has also made me laugh a couple times with little comments and I think you deserve credit for that.

Yeah, but now that his brain has died from the awful WoW puns, his wit may be compromised.

bq. The fact that you have a sense of humor is great too and since you’re the only person to actually comment on my campaign, kudos.

Yeah, I can't wait for a comment system to go into place so everyone will feel encouraged to do the same.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Awww! /me feels all warm and fuzzy. And props to Photoneater for volunteering to be "the face of OP". As sweet and charming as I may appear here, rest assured I couldn't be in a position like that for long without wanting to eat someone's face (and not in that hubba-hubba way).

I love this group as a whole, perhaps because most of us share the belief that the story is the most important part of the campaign, so whenever folks start talking about their campaigns on the forums, it's actually enjoyable for me to follow those discussions. After so many hours at conventions listening to people talk about the UBER BUILD PATH they've picked out for their characters, I'm glad to have a refuge from that.

I gave auth0r's "Titans by Moonlight" campaign a look-see yesterday, and I can't wait to see more. I really enjoy Seraph's "Sinclair" character for that campaign, also.

Jennifer's "Brave New World" absolutely deserves the spotlight - that's some great story writing. I can't wait for Florimel to actually start a new campaign (as opposed to just having one flow into another) so I can potentially rival her campaign in that department. =)

And absolutely...hugs to whomever wants 'em. It's a pretty rare person who creeps me out so thoroughly that I won't even hug them once. =)
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    Rob: I've enjoyed reading your posts as well :D You've snapped me back into several perspectives :P

Photon is always great to talk to. (and my first out of group OP friend :P)

Aidan never directly talks to me on here, so :P

Micah: Mad props, if I knew how to code better, I'd volunteer my time to help out :D
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    OP is such a magnificent campaign tool, and a HUGE part of that is the community that uses & supports it. The general discussion folder is becoming a great resource for roleplaying in general (and whatever else), so I just wanted to voice my own appreciation for *all* of y'all.

Thanks to photoneater for his comments on my MySpace blog. And to Jennifer, of course, who brought me here, and is as great a player - and a friend - as she is a DM.

Hugs back atcha, FemmeLegion!
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    I can hardly say anything honest without repeating comments previously made...

... so let me gratuitously repeat some comments previously made.

So far this whole community has been excellent. The vast majority of the campaigns and characters I look at here are pretty well thought out, and almost all of them have some nugget of inspiration that I may eventually incorporate into a game.

Photoneater, you rock. Thanks for commenting on my game (if you check it out again, you'll see that the bribery has had a tremendous effect on the adventure log).

And all the rest of you rock hard, too, but for different reasons.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. Photoneater, you rock. Thanks for commenting on my game (if you check it out again, you’ll see that the bribery has had a tremendous effect on the adventure log).

I'll be sure to do that. That's good to hear, because I've just been trying to get my players to do things by threatening them with fire, and it doesn't seem to work as well. It's funny... always worked with monkeys.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Thanks for the positive comments. :) I like doing the writing for Darth's and my campaigns because I feel like I'm still (sort of) keeping active in my literary pursuits while I'm too worried about not having a job to work on my novel. When I was a teenager, I couldn't write unless I was depressed, now I can't write when I *am* depressed. I prefer it this way, but I'd seriously like to get a real job soon!

It's so nice of everyone to read my campaign stuff! I'd read more of the other campaigns here, but I don't want to confuse myself even more than I already am. I think Freakin' Elves looks hilarious, though, the entry for Drizz't made me laugh out loud.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. I like doing the writing for Darth’s and my campaigns because I feel like I’m still (sort of) keeping active in my literary pursuits while I’m too worried about not having a job to work on my novel.

I can understand that. One of my childhood dreams was to someday work in game design, but obviously my life took a different path. Still, when I get to get involved with a game and really flesh it out, it sort of satisfies that itch for me.

bq. I think Freakin’ Elves looks hilarious, though, the entry for Drizz’t made me laugh out loud.

Funny, writing it up just made me shudder in fear for a few minutes and then curl up under the desk and weep for the state of the game.
  • AidanDark
    AidanDark
    Hello, Geek_Evolved. It is so lovely to speak with you :P It feels as though it has been forever despite cell phones, AIM, and tabletop games ;)
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    You know, I haven't officially done it yet, so here it goes-

I think we should all give a little thumbs up to DarthKrzysztof and his players for their campaign, which is currently featured. Also to Micah, for his featured magic item.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    bq. I think we should all give a little thumbs up to DarthKrzysztof and his players for their campaign, which is currently featured.

Thanks again, and congratulations to IceBob and his crew for their turn in the spotlight!
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    Thank you all! We try hard, and we have a lot still waiting to be posted (darned lazy players...).
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    There's apparently no motivation quite like a little public scrutiny. My players have added some new material.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Whatever works, right?

I'm hoping my current tactic of "write stuff up and inspire them to outdo me" will work. But hey, even if it doesn't, at least this time I'm starting at the beginning of the campaign instead of the middle, so it's not feeling as overwhelming.
  • AidanDark
    AidanDark
    I've given up. My players seem to think that the player wiki is mine alone and are afraid to touch it or the game synopsis (which is now like 4 weeks behind due!)

The NPC list is growing at a torrential rate... most of them are still GM only though.

I'd like to thank Jenn for having a very crazy were-rat who is just good enough to not get "smut" by my paladin.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. I’d like to thank Jenn for having a very crazy were-rat who is just good enough to not get “smut” by my paladin.

Whenever you say it like that, I always think you actually mean legitimate smut, and then I get disappointed to find I'm wrong.

bq. I’d like to thank Jenn for having a very crazy were-rat

Crazy? She's the most sane member of the cast!
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Aww, thanks guys. Sorry I haven't been around the past couple of weekends, my life has been a mess and I keep waking up really late and forgetting about the game. Normally I never do that. :(
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    I'm just going to go ahead and compliment just about everyone on the site, for being a large collection of creative and intelligent people, producing a huge amount of well-written and interesting material.
  • redstar
    redstar
    A little late to the discussion, but I would like to the echo the sentiments that pretty much every regularly updated wiki I've seen has been wonderfully creative in so many ways. Just looking at other games has helped me not only organize my own game _wiki_, but think of fun ways of telling the story of what transpires in the _game_.

I'm glad to be here. :)
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    I'd like to dust this thread off and extend a gratuitous shout-out to "Jennifer":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Jennifer, who's just caught up on the adventure logs for "Cold Blood":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/cold-blood. Please drop by and take a look if you haven't recently (or ever).