Greetings and Salutations

Ryqoshay
edited October 2010 in Player Lounge
Greetings, denizens of the Obsidian Portal.

I have joined this fine community at the behest of my new DM and with but the merest skimming of these forums, I can say without hesitation that I have found a new digital home.
My experience with table top gaming has been scattered throughout the years and often overshadowed by the many forms of digital game, specifically of the MMORPG variety. Last year I dabbled with playing D&D via Skype with some friends on the east coast and recently joined a more local game DM'ed by an old high school friend. This local D&D game is the one what has brought me here.
I must warn you, however, that I fancy myself a writer. Do not be surprised if I start uploading poems or songs about my characters, or 'written by' them, or written in a style inspired by a campaign. I draw inspiration from anywhere I can, and the open ended worlds provided by pen and paper games offer excellent frames to work within. Forsooth, what was intended to be a paragraph or two character background has now exceeded two hundred pages with no sign of ending anytime soon.
Perhaps some day I may even DM my own game, but that bridge shall be crossed at a later date. In the meantime, I believe I will enjoy my time here and just play the games that come my way.

See you all around the Portal,
densha_dan

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome to the Portal Densha_Dan!

Holy cr@p, you've written over 100 pages of background for you character!? Want to join _my_ campaign? Seriously though, I'm sure your DM feels very lucky to have such a creative personality contributing to his(her?) campaign. You should throw up a link to the site so that others here can have a chance to delve into your Opus. Look forward to getting to know you here at the forums, and if you or your DM have any questions regarding the technical side of building a campaign site, feel free to ask questions with impunity. This is a fantastically helpful community.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Welcome aboard, densha_dan. I felt _exactly_ the same after my first visit to OP.
    Post edited by FrankSirmarco on
  • Ryqoshay
    The two hundred plus pages are not all about the one character. I had wanted her to be a mercenary and decided to bring in a few characters I'd used in various MMO's to flesh out a small guild. With each new character added came new ideas and the next thing I knew I was dealing with three different time frames and an ever growing influence on my DM's realm. Currently, all I have is a shotgun scattering of scenes across the entire time line and ideas that may need a fourth and possibly a fifth frame. Perhaps one day I may collect enough scenes in one frame to be considered playable, or publishable, or whatever. Until such time, I am having fun, and in the end, that is the most important thing.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Densha_Dan, welcome!

A fellow writin' fool, I see! I wrote a "short" story about an npc from a previous game that came up to about 150 typed pages or so. You kind of get lost in the idea. I told the bit of story I wanted to tell, and then, I just wanted to tell the bit that happened after that... then after that... and before you knew it, I had far too much written to be of any use.

I love the idea of taking MMO characters you've had and incorporating them into your story. That shows promise that you aren't one of these people who play an MMO and ignore the story. I remember people hollering at me for taking so long in accepting a quest on WoW (back when I used to play, which is a long time ago). I used to say, "I don't know if this is something Drakkenfaust would agree to." I would often hear "Who cares! There's a blue drop in that instance that you could use! Let's go!" I play a game mostly for the story, which is why I always had deep connections to my own characters, and imagined my characters having deep roots in the world around him. It seems like you're the same way, which makes us kindred. And I like things that are kindred, so you have that going for you :)

I am entertaining the possibility of inviting one or two remote players to join my campaign, Wyrmshadow. I am not 100% on board with the idea, yet, but it seems like you would be an interesting candidate.

Also, like Arsheesh said, if you need help putting together your wiki, don't hesitate to toss me a message, or just to hit up these forums. I can't tell you how invaluable that has been to me.

"Duskreign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Duskreign

"Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Welcome aboard! This too, has become my little rain-soaked cardboard box of a home. It's quite spectacular here, and I don't mind saying it. I wish I was half the writer Dusk was, but I make do.

My fondest memories of any MMO came from when, on a whim, I discovered that this battle hardened ranger I was playing in Age of Conan wanted to give up fighting and follow in the footsteps of his grandfather and become a stonemason. And it spawned a series of lessons from his grandfather that someday I shall get around to throwing up in the "Misc" section of my Wiki. I've always had some level of connection to all of my characters, and I've always gotten frustrated at games when the way *I* was playing the character means that I would completely deviate from the plot, when I started getting forced into doing things *my* character would *never* do. That's why I enjoy D&D so much: you're never forced into doing *anything*. There may be a strong *hint* or carrot/stick combination, but you've got choice. And choice is a weapon. Besides, sometimes being backed into a corner is the greatest thing that can happen to a character, when they're forced to make some sort of internal decision and unleash a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Hey there :D This is a pretty fantastic place, even if I have been mia for a little while. The character background is impressive, I love making unique characters but I've never gone into much detail about their past when writing them out. I leave it vague that way I can make stuff up on the fly ^_^ Though I know someone who does pretty much the same thing, I think she loves creating the characters life more than actually playing it.

I have to say though you seem like a fantastic person.. I dunno I just get this feeling ^_^
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I agree, Umami! I think Densha's gonna be a great addition to our little community.

Also, hows the teef?
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Writer.... we need more of those.

Welcome to OP.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Ulterior motives are ulterior...
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    my teeth are fine, doesn't hurt unless it gets pressed on :D So that's good yeah?

Writers are always a good thing to have :D
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Paperback writers? (Writers....)

*Guitar Solo*

...I'd love to see someone with Interior Motives, rather than Ulterior.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    It's a dirty story of a dirty man, and his clinging wife doesn't understand...

Wasn't Woody Allen's _Interiors_ something with interior motives?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...No, no, I think it might have had something to do with Interior _motifs._ (There are some days I hate my brain.)
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    You don't hate that brain - you love it and cherish it. Feed it a steady diet of puns, arcane pop culture references, and Monty Python quotes...
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    LOL yes, ulterior motives indeed. Duskreign, quit stating absolutely true facts about me.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I find Dusk to be like Truth Serum. You don't expect it, you can't turn it off, but in the end, everyone involved tends to feel much better about themselves.

(Also, Frank - My mind is a scary scary place. My Fiance mentioned the word Penguin to me and I had 6 Penguin jokes in my head within a minute. I started spouting them off until she cried fowl.)
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I never thought it was possible to be physically hurt by a pun, but there it is.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I find my self both appalled and enthralled... the sign of a good pun :)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    From laughing, right? Pain from laughing? I've been hurt by puns before. The sad thing is, they're in my head when they hurt me. ...I've actually had a pun so awesome it hurt me to not say it. I am happy you appreciate my illness, though!
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Wow...just wow...
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Fine, Jim. From now on, I will only make true statements lateral or beneath you.

Also, Rase? %$%^#^%^$&#%^^%$!

lol
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Er? Is that a good Censored, or a bad Censored?
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    There are never bad censoreds. Just degrees of funny.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Here's an example of a bad censored:

Oh my God! I just heard that we're about to be ^&&%^#*@$&^$@*$&#$! Isn't that @&^#*$^ news?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...I love what textile formatting does. It's delicious! I think Dusk was saying that we're all about to be given a "big slice of pie", and that it was "Great" news! Or maybe it was Great slice of Pie, and Big news... Or perhaps Penguin News. My censor-fu is a bit rusty.

What happened to the Pigeon when he was hitting on a Penguin in a bar?
    A.) She gave him the cold shoulder
    B.) He got Shot down
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Welcome to OP, Densha Dan. You have already inspired a lengthy thread just by your introduction so I predict you will expand to even greater things.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member