Is Gleemax available yet?

Micah
Micah
edited August 2007 in General Discussion

Comments

• Micah
    Micah
    So I've been trying to follow the whole Gleemax thing, since they will probably be a competitor to Obsidian Portal. Last I heard, they were supposed to debut their super pre-alpha version at GenCon and open it up to everyone.

I've seen a few screenshots, but the gleemax.com site is still just a front for the WizO message boards.

Anyone else know what's going on?
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    As far as I can tell, the super-pre-alpha version was only demoed at GenCon, but isn't available to the general public yet. There's info on what it's going to have here:

http://www.gleemax.com/articles/announcement014.html
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    Odd what you've linked to Randolpho looks more like a player networking than campaign management. The DnDInsider is meant to have a campaign vault which I think would be more likely competition for Obsidian Portal.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I sort of thought that Gleemax and DDI were two names for the same thing. Am I wrong?
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    I think Gleemax is a general gamer connection thing, so includes Magic and other games, where as DnDInsider refers to the D&D online features including but not limited to, Dungeon and Dragon, Character generator, tabletop simulator, character and campaign vault.

Gleemax might include a blog, but it is more like a facebook for gamers. Likely to be free.

DnDInsider has more utilities for DnD, but will be subcription based for at least some of the features.
  • DocWyatt2001
    DocWyatt2001
    Subscription.. Gee.. You think they were making enough money off the books alone (4th Ed?!? You mean I gotta buy *more* books... )
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    Yeah, ya gotta buy more books. Just like you gotta buy a new computer to run BioShock. Nature of the beast.
  • Micah
    Micah
    If the new material is good, then the books are worth it. If not, stick with 3.5 and (or 3.0, or AD&D, or whatever) and continue playing. That's the great thing about tabletop games (and separates us from the computer world): there are no _requirements_ to use anything you don't want to. If you're having fun, then that's all that matters.
  • Micah
    Micah
    It looks like Gleemax is set to go live very soon. Expect me to be on there right away checking it out :) From the list of features, it looks like Obsidian Portal will still be a viable option for hosting your game. They won't crush us that easily!

Anyways, as soon as you sign up (assuming the rest of you will) send me a friend request!
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    I'm certainly sold on the new Gleemax system and DnD insider. I'm glad they are taking to the webs. The name kind of sucks, but hey, can't win em all.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I'm not convinced yet. They've made a lot of promises and I'll wait until I see the actual product to make any final call. It could still end up being a steaming pile of garbage.
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    True, but the same goes for anything that is on the cusp like that. I'm inspired by their moving to the social networking aspect(Didn't want to say web2.0 :P). We actually have a project in the works because of it.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Web 2.0 is not a dirty word, at least no to me :)

I also like the social networking aspect. It fits so darn well with tabletop RPGs that it surprises me that it took this long. We had intended to go that route with Obsidian Portal, but now we're steering more to the campaign blogs and supporting that. I hope that Gleemax will provide hooks for us to connect to which would allow people to syndicate their Obsidian Portal campaign blogs on their Gleemax page or vice-versa.

We'll just have to wait and see...
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    That would be really nice :D Perhaps you should email their webadmin ;)
  • Micah
    Micah
    I have asked the main dude (Randy something-or-other) and his answer was "not yet" That's actually the correct answer to give and shows me that they can focus on what they need to do. I really hope they get the social networking stuff working soon so you can all friend me :) I've created an account on gleemax named ObsidianPortal, so send me an invite once they get that working.
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    Good idea calling it ObsidianPortal because if you use the search to look for Obsidian Portal, it falls over because it can't cope with a space.
  • PolletteIrieska
    PolletteIrieska
    Gleemax isn't going to be for individual gamers, it's meant to be a space for gaming mags and websites to post, honestly. The whole thing is rather disappointing. I was very much looking forward to being part of a large gamer community, living out here in the middle of nowhere.
    On the other hand, I found Knowledge Arcana through it, so that's a good thing. :)
    In other words, ObsidianPortal shouldn't run into any issues because of the introduction of Gleemax. Gleemax may take off, it may not, but OP isn't in direct competition with the site in either case, and as long as they stick to OGL campaigns, they won't even be a blip on WOTC's radar.