privacy settings for PCs?

Comments

• dirdon
    I'm sorry if this question is really basic, but I just joined the site this week.

So the paid membership lets you restrict access to campaigns, but what about for PCs? I can't seem to find a way to make my PC visible to friends or campaign members only.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    My understanding is that one of the original intents of this site was to give people a place to share their ideas for characters and items, taking and giving inspiration and creativity.

The reason for restricting access to campaigns would be that visitors are allowed to leave comments in the campaign wiki, which means there's the possibility for spam or abusive remarks. As far as I can tell, there is no way to leave a comment attached to a character or item.

If you are genuinely concerned with restricting how many people see your character and its concept, I'd suggest creating it as a wiki page in the campaign, rather than as a character. Players can create new pages and edit them as things change.
  • Persephone
    I understand your concern.

I was a member of a D&D TT Campaign some years back. I was playing a woman masquerading as a man. There was no reason for the rest of the group to know that, much less the rest of the world. The only people who needed to know was myself and the DM at the time. Eventually, my cover was blown and my character was revealed to be a what she was (but that is a tale for another time). The point is, sometimes there is information that Game Masters give individual players that do not need to be revealed to the group as a whole immediately. Forcing DMs to keep track of this information (via the DM only function) is not fair to either them nor the players themselves.

~ Persephone
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Unfortunately, there is no such way at the moment. The GM should keep that info on the GM only sections, and said player should keep a note on their sheet or in their personal records. I'd definitely support the feature, even if it had to be limited to a pay feature. It would likely be a variation on the co-gm status that Ascendant members can utilize.
  • elchwang
    Any update to this?

I just joined as a DM for a new campaign, and I want the same functionality requested here: complete privacy on all content for my players (as well as for myself). I want a site that helps me manage information for my group; I don't want that information also to be publicly available.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Hey!! I have, well, a work-around.
    Make all of your players co-gm's.... it keeps the public out anyways...
    Sorry I don't have a better answer.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• elchwang
    Thanks for the tip, killervp. I might explore a bit more and give that a try. I can keep all the DM-only information on my personal computer, I guess.
  • elchwang
    Blargh--I'd also like hosting for pdfs and other files (besides maps), which apparently OP can't do (right?). I think I'll stick with google groups / docs for now. I can host all sorts of linkable files via google docs and control privacy settings in Groups for free. If I ever get the urge to make a wiki or take advantage of the other OP tools, I'll be back!
  • The_Compass_Rose
    The_Compass_Rose
    It sounds like this is the question I came on for. I've had several users of the site mail me about my characters, even though they can't open my private campaigns. I have been thinking about moving all my characters to wiki pages, but it seems sort of goofy and a waste of having the character feature in the first place. Like others mentioned, it makes it hard to use OP as the place to store my campaign when my players can see at least part of what's coming ahead of time
    Post edited by The_Compass_Rose on
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I would like to see this feature as well

I do not pretend to be super computer savy - but I have noticed that even in an open to the Public Campaign such as mine, non members cannot access the calendar. It seems to me that an additional "members only" tab could be added or created.
    Post edited by Leonidas300 on