What the Foxtrot!

Comments

• Tourq
    Tourq
    So, I just joined, and would like to spring this on the players at some time. It seems that I know nothing about everything!

(1) Why do all the links turn light blue? They are hard to read that way. Can I change that?

(2) When I come to the site, I can't find my campaign without logging into my account. Yet, I can find that FEATURED UBER SUPER COOL NEMEDIAN CHRONICLES, and others. What gives?

(3) When I reference something (a town) using the double brackets [[ ]] in two different places, it doesn't go to the same place. What gives?

I know I'm a tool, but what's with these tools?
  • Tourq
    Tourq
    The campaign name is Red Moon Rising.

Let me ask #3 a different way: That NPC Tracker is cool and all, but how do I (from somewhere in the wiki) link to an NPC in the Tracker?? When I try to create the link it just creates a standard, new page.
  • Micah
    Micah
    No, you're not a tool, and it's not your fault. Things aren't as easy as we'd like. We're trying to improve things, but it's tough to make the system both easy and powerful.

1. The links turn light blue to show that the target page exists. If the target page does not exist (and can be created) then the links will be red. It's an easy way to tell if a wiki link actually leads to a page, or is just a placeholder for "fill me in later"

2. We're working on ways to make it easier to find your campaigns, mainly through better searching. For now, it's best to copy down the URL of your campaign and send that to your players. In your case, it's: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/red-moon-rising

3. Make sure that you use the exact same page name, including case. If you want the link text to be different than the actual name of the page, you can specify it like this:

[[My New Page | Some Text Here]]

3 (part 2): To link to a character, use the quick-link helper in the sidebar. It will list all the PCs/NPCs in your campaign, and you can choose one from the dropdown list. This will give you a cut & paste text to link to your character. In general, you can use either the slug (if you chose one) or the ID for the character. And, you make the link using the double brackets [[ ]], but with a colon, like so:

[[:slug-here]]
    [[:1234]]

There are some pre-generated pages in every new campaign that have some good examples of the linking. Try editing the main wiki page and seeing how it works.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, hit me up at [email protected] I have an easier time answering emails than following the forum threads.
  • Calion
    Calion
    "I have an easier time answering emails than following the forum threads."

That's good to know... :)