Not My Art

Comments

• JackSmithIV
    I'm building a pretty expansive campaign wiki. For NPC portraits, art for areas, and other pieces, we are sampling bits (never reproducing in the whole) from a few select galleries, one of them being Wizard's D&D galleries.

Does anyone know what the legal grounds are for doing this?
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I can only tell you what my lawyer friend (and one of my players) told me. He said that using anyone's art on this site should fall under what's called fair use. If the artist or copyright holder contact you or Obsidian Portal and request that their art be removed, then you are legally obligated to do so.

I use a TON of art from other sources, most of which I have no idea where it originally came from. I just type in roughly what I am looking for on Google Images, find something I like that makes sense for the purposes I had in mind, and use it.

I can tell you what my lawyer friend said was a sketchy legal issue, and that is bandwidth theft. If you find an image you like, save it to your computer, then upload it to an image hosting site like imageshack. That way, you are not stealing anyone elses bandwidth in the process.

Post a link to your campaign! I would be interested in checking it out! Mine is http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/wyrmshadow