Map size issues

Comments

• Terawatt
    Terawatt
    I have been trying to upload a map to my campaign for a while now, but keep finding that after I upload it, the map is tiny. The page starts at the closest zoom possible and if you zoom out it I have lots of white space around the edge of my file.

My picture is currently 1024x1024 and about 408kb when saved as a jpg. I have saved it at about 6000x6000 and under 500kb, even at 6000x6000 and well over 500kb (like 1.5mb); they all upload but they also all show up tiny on the map page.

Am I missing something?
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    As far as I can tell, the starting zoom level of the maps is sized so that the map fills the window with a little bit of margin space, regardless of the original map resolution. Normally, you can only zoom out from there. The two additional zoom levels unlocked by a premium subscription allow you to zoom in further on the map, and would theoretically take advantage of higher resolution starting image. You can take a look at "my campaign map":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sanction/maps/show/2705 if you want an example of the premium mode map setup.

In my opinion, the current setup doesn't make a lot of sense. Being able to zoom out on a map that's been scaled down to fit within the space is pretty pointless, and it would be nice if we could zoom in further in some cases. It's interesting to note that you were able to upload a file over 500k though - I hadn't tried it because it said it wouldn't work, but I'd love to get a version of my map in there with better res and less compression.
  • Terawatt
    Terawatt
    I don't know what was done to the photo in the upload process, I know it was the same size on the google map, but when you clicked to look at the original image it was huge.

I was thinking of getting the premium subscription, but don't want to pay money until I know if its something I am doing wrong or something wrong on the site. :(
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    There's nothing wrong with either from a technical standpoint. The system re-samples the image you put in to a fixed size for each zoom level, so the dimensions of your original image have no bearing what so ever on the size the image will appear in the map viewer. Of course, using a higher resolution original will result in a better looking image on the higher zoom levels though. I just tested it, and here's the breakdown of what size the image is re-sampled to for each zoom level:

Zoom 0 - Small - 256 x 256 Pixels, smaller than map window (730 x 512)
    Zoom 1 - Medium - 512 x 512 Pixels, fills the box vertically, but not horizontally
    Zoom 2 - Default - 1024 x 1024 Pixels, a bit more than fills the box horizontally
    Zoom 3 - Large - 2048 x 2048 Pixels, only available on premium campaigns
    Zoom 4 - Huge- 4096 x 4096 Pixels, only available on premium campaigns