Hello from the land of eternal Summer.

Layla_Pathos
Layla_Pathos
edited March 2009 in Player Lounge

Comments

• Layla_Pathos
    Layla_Pathos
    (With a few days of the other seasons occasionally)

Hi everyone! I joined here, like, three days ago, or something, and I finally got my ass over here to introduce myself! I'm in the Arizona part of the world and I'm pretty new to D&D. So I'm working on learning how to DM for a group of my friends (Who are also new to the whole thing).

But if there are good resources for beginners that you could clue me in to I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Hrmm, I don't know what else to say about myself.
  • Untamed
    Untamed
    Welcome! Be sure to check out the Help & Tips forum as ideas get bounced off of each other occasionally in there. Also, for a beginning GM, I think taking a look at Spidieman's post labeled something along the lines of "What I've learned DMing..." which can be found "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/forums/6/topics/629

Other than that, feel free to ask if you have any questions. I've found everyone here I've messaged or asked to be quite willing to help. Be sure to introduce your players to Obsidian Portal as well :)
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Hi Layla! You mention D&D - if you're running 4th edition, I've found that to be a much friendlier system for the GM than 3rd or 3.5 are. I'm really not at all convinced that it's been simplified much on the players' end, but I actually feel like I *could* put together a campaign in 4th edition, where I was just too stymied to do anything but run modules in 3.5.

Also, maybe you already planned to do this, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with running them through a module as your first experience with GMing. Let someone else come up with the what and the why of the plot, while you get the hang of figuring out what this given group of baddies would do in this particular combat situation, and of adjudicating skill checks. Stuff like that.