Shared Images Library

JerichoBrown
JerichoBrown
edited February 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• JerichoBrown
    JerichoBrown
    I am like many users of this site, I'm very visually stimulated. I like pretty pictures everywhere.

Publishing pictures to the internet sucks up expensive bandwidth. Storing images takes up space and causes other problems.

So, here's my thought: why not build a library of shared images?

Start with a simple collection of publicly licensed images; swords, guns, characters, etc. These images can be optimized to be very small, so they would be low on bandwidth. Would it be possible to have several articles point to the same image and thus use less storage? You experts tell me.

To further the library, users could add their own images (that they have permission to use and distribute). So, if I drew a sword, shrunk it down to 100k in size and then submitted it, checking the box that says I'm releasing it to the Public Domain (or Creative Commons or whatnot) - then other OP users could point to it as well.

I realize this is probably going to be more useful down the line than today. But, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.