Sidebar

Redslash12
Redslash12
edited February 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Redslash12
    Redslash12
    I noticed that the sidebar where it displays information like your user name and avatar, and the edit buttons for the campaign becomes really useless on certain pages. Like for example on the Wiki page the only thing that's there is the button to add Tags to the current wiki page. While this isn't a huge issue it adds a step in navigating between 2 campaign's and other various pages. It'd be nice if it always displayed your user name and avatar, so I could just click my name and go to any other campaign I'm in/running. It'd also look cleaner and more uniform.
  • discomute
    discomute
    I just came by here to request the same feature. A side bar is needed for easy access. At all times you should be able to switch to your favourite campaigns, and even to your characters for that campaign. Plus your user name and avatar. Cheers.
  • yanko128
    yanko128
    That would be a very useful feature.
  • Figment
    Figment
    Sidebar continuity would be great. I'd especially like the home page sidebar which lists PCs to also have the tag sorting feature just like on the NPC page sidebar.
  • darkbeto
    darkbeto
    That will be a great add.
  • harneloot
    harneloot
    Yeah, sometimes I get "lost" deep within my wiki with no easy way back except to return to the beginning of the wiki!
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    I agree that a sidebar option would be very useful, especially for navigation within a given campaign's wiki. I have created a stopgap example that I try to add to each of my major section pages. Unfortunately, I currently have to code it in to each page.

INDEX

* *[[MAIN PAGE]]*
    * *[[Current Tasks]]*
    * *[[The Adventure so Far| Adventure Log]]*

p=. *REFERENCES*

*People*
    ** [[Players| PCs]]
    ** "%{color:blue}NPCs%":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/npc-tracker

*Places*
    ** [[Countries]]
    ** [[Cities]]
    ** [[Regions]]
    ** [[Important Sites]]
    ** [[Maps]]

*Groups*
    ** [[Races of the Westerlands| Races]]
    ** [[Religions of the Westerlands| Religions]]
    ** [[Organizations]]
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Aww... crap. I was going to try to post the code here, but that obviously didn't work. Well, here's a link to "my main page":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/main-page to see what it looks like.
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    Thanks for the input gnunn! We'll take a look at the pages and see what can't be cleared up.
  • Kera
    Kera
    Wow Gnunn, how do you make the page look so good? I'm guessing its to do with coding... I don't suppose you could give me some tips on coding to make my pages look as good as yours do?
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Funny you should ask Kera. Just this weekend I posted a "how-to":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/forums/5/topics/1163 for creating sidebars over in the Help and Tips forum. Hopefully checking that out can get you started. If you have more specific questions, let me know and I'd be happy to help you experiment with things.
  • Kera
    Kera
    Wow, really good guide! I'll be implementing that soon im sure! Kudos to you, you're a credit to the site :)