GM-Only doesn't mean what I thought it did

Nelph0nd
Nelph0nd
edited February 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Nelph0nd
    Nelph0nd
    Hello!

I was wondering if it could be made so that a GM can make a wiki page so that nobody but the GM of a campaign can see it?

For example, I have a wiki page for a particular monster I've adapted to an area in my campaign, and I'd prefer it if my players couldn't see that page, so I checked the "entire page GM-only?" checkbox, but the page is still visible to everyone:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/khaj-mari/wikis/desert-zombie

So I think I must have misinterpreted what that checkbox means... I had thought it meant that as the GM of this campaign, I'd be the only person to whom that particular wiki page would be visible.

So since that isn't what I thought it was, what DOES the "entire page GM-only?" checkbox do, exactly?

I mean, I suppose I could just move all the content for that wiki to the "GM Only" section of that page, but the article itself would still exist, and I'm not crazy about my players being able to see it (even if it's blank to them: "Gee, what's this blank article on 'Desert Zombies'? We'd better watch out for those when we're out in the desert!").
  • velkynfaer
    velkynfaer
    As a workaround, why not name the wiki entry DM-M-DZ or something similar. You'll know what it is but your players will probably only be able to figure out it's a custom monster.
  • Flatscan
    Flatscan
    Hmm, that's unusual. I use "entire page GM-only" all the time for the Adventure Logs and they only show up to me. Weird.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    One problem I noticed shortly after the RSS feed was introduced (and maybe it's been taken care of) is that people were able to view GM-only pages if they were announced in the RSS feed. I inadvertently saw some of Florimel's plot notes for a future campaign that way. (I've long since forgotten, mind you, but it was still disconcerting to realize I probably shouldn't be reading what I was reading. =)
  • Nelph0nd
    Nelph0nd
    Yeah, I've thought of changing the wiki entry / page name to something obscure like that, but then at some point *I'LL* forget wtf it means too; I have enough trouble with my own cryptic handwritten notes sometimes, I don't need to spawn further self-confusion with my own wikis. :-)

I guess I'll just live with it.