This gets worse and worse. What should my GM friend do this time?

marshalljames1

I really must do something about the mate whose background tables I've already asked lots of questions about, this result is far worse then the worse so far, you don't believe me?, don't blame you but take a look and you'll agree. What should my GM friend do this time?

He decided to start the campaign in 2,558, the same Pc is question is the 1 who played Erin in a prior campaign, thankfully its not the same character, has A Pc that's the Future Elector Countess of both Averland and Stirland, is the god-daughter of the Elector Count of Nuln and is a very distant relation of both The Elector Count of Talabheim and The King of Bretonnia

So why would someone whose career is Noble that's the Future Elector Countess of both Averland and Stirland, is the god-daughter of the Elector Count of Nuln and is a very distant relation of both The Elector Count of Talabheim and to The King of Bretonnia

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

"So why would someone whose career is Noble that's the Future Elector Countess of both Averland and Stirland, is the god-daughter of the Elector Count of Nuln and is a very distant relation of both The Elector Count of Talabheim and to The King of Bretonnia"

Uh, I feel like this is only the setup to the actual question. Why would she do... what exactly? You've told us what she is and implied that what she is would interfere with what she is going to do but you don't appear to have actually finished this sentence. I'm not trying to be rude with this next bit, just including it to hopefully help you see the issue: The way this reads is basically like saying "Hey, there's this dog whose brown, and furry, and is friends with Benjie the Barking Bird. Why would this dog?"

To hazard a stab at answering the mostly unasked question - maybe she feels confined living the life of a noble, or maybe she just has a thirst for adventure, or maybe she's power hungry and knows that by deviating from the path set before her she stands to benefit?

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• marshalljames1
    Ooops it should have said I really must do something about the mate whose background tables I've already asked lots of questions about, this result is far worse then the worse so far, you don't believe me?, don't blame you but take a look and you'll agree. What should my GM friend do this time?

He decided to start the campaign in 2,558, the Player in question is the 1 who played Erin in a prior campaign, thankfully its not the same character, and he has A Pc that's the Future Elector Countess of both Averland and Stirland, is the god-daughter of the Elector Count of Nuln and is a very distant relation of both The Elector Count of Talabheim and The King of Bretonnia

For reference Erin was a Pc from a different campaign that had both the same player and the same GM that started out having recently inherited control of the most powerful criminal empire in history the world had ever seen that has been around for almost 1,804 years, he started with around 25,300 Gold worth of cash, around 8,400 Gold worth of valuables as well as numerous other ways of making money

Even from the start his criminal empire alone netted him a minimum of almost 59,700 Gold per year, all in all he earned a minimum of almost 83,500 Gold per year, most of which went on a private army that even at the start of the campaign was 608 strong

He also had over 2,300 farm animals whose produced netted him almost 10,000 Gold per year, as well as 4 Pegasus, 13 assorted magical goodies and started with 2 very small \Baronies

So why would someone whose career is Noble that's the Future Elector Countess of both Averland and Stirland, is the god-daughter of the Elector Count of Nuln and is a very distant relation of both The Elector Count of Talabheim and to The King of Bretonnia willingly choose a career as risky as being a adventurer?
    Post edited by marshalljames1 on
  • ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Well you could ask the same of most elves in DND.. why if you live almost forever would you risk death by adventuring?

In the case of my High Elf who ran away from a similar future the answer was simple - she was bored!

She found the duties of ruling really dull compared to the stories of adventurers going out and fighting monsters. So chose to take a 'gap year' to fulfill her dreams of becoming a famous wizard before she turned 100 and was expected to take her place as a adult in elven society.

But this is just one of the many options. 

I'd suggest thinking of Game of Thrones and looking at history of Noble Houses - you'll find countless examples of people turning down a rich and comfortable lifestyle for fame, adventure or in fear of being found out for some crime or drama back home.

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023!