Was the Pc that's A Future King right to arrange for 1 Domain to be given to each of the other Pcs

marshalljames1
edited December 2022 in General Discussion

A week ago I joined a group that is hoping to do its 1st 3rd edition Dnd Campaign that use's some stuff from other editions  and it will be my 1st 3rd edition campaign as A Player and when rolling for family, background and social class my rolls were 100 then 11 then 68 then 35

That mean that my character is the oldest of the 7 children of A King, which means that my character would 1 day be A King

Well as my characters a future king I decided that before the campaign had even started that my character will use the fact that he's his homelands future king to establish A Domain each for the other 4 Pcs to get when they reach 9th level

But what do you think? was I fight to use the fact that my characters  his homelands future king to establish A Domain each for the other 4 Pcs to get when they reach 9th level before the campaigns even started?

In case it helps here's all the info on the 4 domains and in case your wondering? yes initially they are all identical

The domain  is A Barony that’s 17.4% bigger then a normal Barony, it comes with A 23 acre Vineyard  and it comes with The Title of Baron whose power, influence and respect are all 6.4% higher then  normal

And

It consists of the following

In it is 1 Small Fortified Manor House, 2 normal sized logging communities that both has 35 people on them, 3 slightly larger then normal sized hunting communities that has 39 people in it, 5 fairly large fishing communities that all have 44 people in them, 5 small villages that all have 116 people in them and 23 very large farms that all have 12 people on them

It has a total population of 1,263 people that consists of 742 adults and 521 children

It earns the baron or baroness A total of 15,153 +1,679 +575 +2,621 +4,800 Gold Coins per year or 24,828 Gold Coins per year +10% means it earns the baron or baroness A total of gives 27,311 Gold Coins per year

Take away 2,713 Gold Coins per year for taxes, 2,713 Gold Coins per year for tithes to the church,  544 Gold Coins per year for donations to the poor and needy, 9,925 Gold Coins per year for the garrison, 6,500 Gold Coins per year for advisors and 2,560 Gold Coins per year for the manor house’s staff  or a total of 25,005 Gold Coins per year leaves the baron or baroness with 2,306 Gold Coins per year

It also has 128 chickens, 62 sheep, 48 pigs, 36 cows and 33 goats that earn the baron or baroness A total of 1,679 Gold Coins per year

Facilities wise it has 13 Bakers, 11 Brewers, 8 Grain Mills, 7 Butchers, 7 Blacksmiths, 4 Cheese Makers 4 Fullers, 4 Carpenters and 4 Tanners that earn the baron or baroness A total of 4,800 Gold Coins per year

Various means of making money that only A Noble can use earn the baron or baroness 696+696+766+464 or 2,621 Gold Coins per year

It also has A 23 Acre Vineyard and every year it gives the owner 575 Gold Coins, 13x80 or 1,040 half pint bottles of Good Wine and 7x35 or 245 half pint bottles of Good Wine

Defenders

It has 122 Men At Arms that consist of 73 1st level, 28 2nd level, 14 3rd level, 5 4th level, 1 5th level and 1 6th  level Men At Arms

It has 118 Clerics that consist of 62 1st level, 30 2nd level, 14 3rd level, 7 4th level, 4 5th level and 1 6th level Clerics

And

It has A 66 strong garrison that consists of 30 Medium Infantry with Ranged Weapons, 30 Medium Infantry with Melee Weapons, 5 Heavy Crossbowmen and their leader whose A 3rd level Ranger

Castle staff

18 unskilled servants, 12 guards, 3 professional chefs, 1 doctor, 1 tailor, 1 hunter and 1 barber

Advisors

2 Rural Wardens/1st level Men At Arms, 2 Urban Wardens/2nd level Man At Arms, 1 Magistrate/2nd level Paladin, 1 Baliff/1st level Thief and 1 Chaplain/5th level Cleric

Confidence level

Because it was set up by the crown prince for people that he believes will soon be good friends of his it’s a automatic 299

That means that the yearly earnings go up by +10% and that every month all Enemy Spies have a 25% chance of being caught

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

In this case most of the details are a bit immaterial to the question at hand, which at it's core is this: does an heir apparent have the authority to grant nobility titles?

The answer to that: it depends on how that works in the world that you are playing in, which will be up to the whims of your DM. Historically speaking the answer is basically no, the right of granting titles was usually reserved for the Grand Duke (who rank higher than sovereign princes), Prime Minister (who exist in systems where sovereign princes have little to no authority), or King.

Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

I feel like I should clarify: when I said "Historically the answer is basically no" I meant Barony titles in English Peerage systems. Barony titles in England came with a duty of military service and were directly linked to the crown for their authority, so their titles sort of reflected that.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Honestly..if your DM is happy with the idea I don't see a problem in terms of rules as it could open a ton of interesting political drama.

The real challenge is going to be politics as if you've ever seen Game of Thrones being set to inherit the throne doesn't mean you're going to end up on it...and any title and land you grant is subject to the 'wims' of your King or others trying to replace your character.

So this comes down to the setting of your campaign and the type of monarchy that exists within your characters kingdom, how accepting the people of the kingdom are of their rule, and most importantly how well your character gets on with the King and their siblings/rivals for the Throne?

As a DM one key you'd need to pull this off is the blessing of your King - or to become King yourself.

The rest of the Party may also find holding the land given to them as a struggle if it is not 'earned' as likely there are other nobles and wannabe Baron's who will feel offended/upset to have some strangers given the land that they feel is rightly theirs.

However the biggest problem with this is that becoming King risks your character losing the ability to be a adventurer - as it's quite difficult to rule a kingdom while also tramping around the countryside. 

So the big question for you isn't 'can I give the party a Kingdom' it's 'why is the first in line for the throne going on Adventures knowing that doing so could risk their chance of becoming King?'

I'd suggest having a think on your characters motivations and how they plan to hold onto power - assuming they even want the throne?

I'd have a chat with the DM about the 'culture' of your characters kingdom as this can vary wildly and have a huge impact on their success... questions like 'What role does the King have?'

Is it a ceremonial title - or is it a culture where the King is worshiped as a God? 

These questions can give a lot of insight into the kind of drama that can occur from changes in the balance of power.

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023!