ChaunceyK
ChaunceyK
edited January 2009 in General Discussion

Comments

• ChaunceyK
    ChaunceyK
    The Mask of Eternal Souls...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/character/16991

Just wanted some feedback/ratings for it. And while I'm here, is there a way to show "most recent first" when looking at Items? That'd be a good way for users to see what's new, rather than just searching.

-Dave (aka ChaunceyK)
  • ryan
    ryan
    Looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. It got my vote :)
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I like that it has a history. And I like the idea that the trapped souls have no idea that they're no longer being forced to aid (or getting revenge on) the king who trapped them, and thus are doing this to everyone just in case. ;)
  • ChaunceyK
    ChaunceyK
    Thank you.

The Mask has been an idea of mine for years, but I only recently got back into D&D after a 20 year hiatus. Once I started writing about it here on OP, it pretty much fleshed out on its own. The item came first, and from there I just thought "Why would someone make this, and why might it fail from time to time?" Making a history for a simple +1 sword is hardly worth the effort, but for a unique item like this, its actually pretty fun.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Oh, I'd argue that making a history for a +1 sword will occasionally cause your players to hang on to it and develop attachment to it instead of just selling it off for gold. One could also write plot hooks around it - perhaps a descendant recognizes it, and his/her attitude toward the PCs changes 'cause of it.

Of course, coming up with small stories like that are what I'm good at, so I do it to distract myself from the big scary task of writing the "real story". ;)