Is boredom a good enough reason for A Future King becoming A Adventurer in 1st edition ADAD?

marshalljames1
edited March 2022 in General Discussion

For a laugh I decided to use my mates charts for determine A Characters background, family and history, its a different mate from the 1 I normally but they've got similarly crazy idea's for making tables for generating A Characters background, family and history

To be completely honest I'm good friends with 7 current GM's, 4 semi-retired GM's and 2, or 3 if you count me, retired GM's and out of The 7 current and 4, so 11 in total, semi-retired GM's only 4 of them don't currently use crazy tables for generating A Characters background, family and history that 1 of the 15 of us made

Even worse, or far worse as some say, is that not 1 of the 15, including me, of us has never used crazy tables for generating A Characters background, family and history that 1 of the 15 of us made

Well the problem is that I rolled A 100 for Social Status, A 70 then A 57 for Homeland then A 3 followed by A 40 on Birth, so I'm wondering, is boredom a good enough reason for A Future King become A Adventurer in 1st edition ADAD?

Basically that rolls meam that The Character is 1 of The 4 Children of The Reigning King and his wife of A Country, he's the kings oldest child, which means that someday he will be king

The country is very similar to Rohan, but its not Rohan, in that it was once part of a country many times its size but its 1st ruler was the area's ruling Duke and he performed a service to his king that was so great that his Dukedom was made A Kingdom that was both eternally separate and eternally allied to the country it was once part of

Lands wise it is made up of 18 Very Senior Barons that all rule A Gargantuan sized Barony that came with a subordinate Very Senior Baron, 9 fairly Senior Barons that all rule A Very Large Barony that came with a subordinate Senior Baron and 3 Earls that are slightly more influential then normal that all rule 3 fairly Large Baronies that came with a subordinate Senior Baron

Sadly theirs not definitely not enough Land to support any more nobles then that, no one has ever tried, the number of people that have seriously considered trying that changed their minds by no later then the late planning stage can be counted on 1 hand and even the 29 Nobles the land supports don't have as much land as nobles of similiar social standing in other kingdoms do

Other rolls show that a very long standing PR Stunt is that the day after the future rulers 6th Birthday 400 Children will be picked at random from the countries orphanages and the future ruler will choose 7 who will spend the next 12 years as his or her friends, companions and playmates

They will also be given a very high education, enough to guarantee that even if they don't enter royal service upon becoming Adults will earn enough to be able to live a very comfortable live

Being chosen as 1 of the friends, companions and playmates is the only guaranteed way for A Commoner to be able to enter The Cavalier Class without saving The King or Queen

The official records say that saving The Future King or Queen doesn't guarantee you A Knighthood but in truth it guarantees that you will get A Knighthood when The Future King or Queen becomes The Future King or Queen 

The day after the 12th anniversary of when he choose them the future King or Queen 5 favorites will become his 7 Royal Retainers and the other 2 will be offered positions in the royal guard, surprisingly enough even the 5 retainers  can refuse without even a telling

More rolls show that the characters 5 Royal Retainers are 1 Cavalier, 1 Ranger, 1 Cleric, 1 Magic User and 1 Thief and being a big fan of Narnia but hating Edmund and Caspian and disliking  I call The Cavalier Peter, The Ranger Susan, The Cleric Lucy, The Magic User Jill and The Thief Eustace

I've just remembered something I forgot. Sorry

Even though my character starts out at Level 1 like all characters in order his 5 Retainers to be powerful enough to protect him they all start at 3rd Level

Rolls, most of which are Good and 1 that wasn't bad but they wasn't  good either, on other tables show that Jill/The Magic User has 1D2+2 or 3 Spellbooks and 1D3-1 or 2 Spellscrolls that hold 1D4+8 or 11 1st Level and 2D2-1 or 3 2nd level Spells and have A 2-in-8 chance of 1 3rd level, surprisingly I roll A 1 and she starts with 1 3rd level Spell

Rolling for motives means that his father was a very young father and unless something happens the character won't be king for at least another 10 to 12 years

This means that he become A Adventurer to stop himself being bored for at least the next 10 to 12 years and naturally he took his 5 Royal Retainers with him

Naturally he wants people, including the other Pcs at first, to think he's simply from a family of wealthy commoners and that his Royal Retainers are actually the children of friends of his father and they tag along to help him and protect him 

His Royal Retainers that are pretending to the children of friends of his father and they tag along to help him and protect him go along with the charade, after all he did save them from a life of near poverty and they will only take part in a fight if its clear that the guys life's at risk

But make no mistake, anyone that attacks and/or tries to kill this guy will definitely wish their parents had never even met, they will likely wish their grandparents had never even me

I mean even though the country he will 1 day rule is very small bordering on Tiny, has always only just made enough to feed, water, clothe, house and take care of its populations medical needs, has never had even 1 notable export and all Royalty and most Nobility of all 4 of its neighbors openly laugh at it the guy is still A Legally recognized Future King

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

"so I'm wondering, is boredom a good enough reason for A Future King become A Adventurer in 1st edition ADAD?"

I'd definitely say so.  Or wanting to prove his worth to his future kingdom ... and build up his abilities before everyone in his court starts angling to take him out and replace him.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1
    I've just remembered a lot of things I'd forgot. Sorry. Here they are

Other rolls show that his father will have made sure he's very well trained and knows several languages

This means that in edition to the extra languages, if any, he knows he also gets Kobloid, Gnome, Goblin, Orc and 1 Giant Tongue of my Choice

That's why I choose his Class before I roll his stats then roll appropriate stats on the appropriate tables, I go for The Cavalier class whose minimum stats are Str 15, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 10 but no minimum Ch and must have A Social Class of at least Middle-Middle

Rolling for appropriate stats on the appropriate table nets me A automatic Str 18, A Con of 1D2+14 or 15, A automatic Dex of 15, A Int of 2D2+9 or 13, A Wis of 1D3+10 or 13 and for Ch I get to roll 2D6-1D8 +8 and I roll 10 -5 +8 or 13 and as A Future King, even if his kingdom is the smallest in his the world

His Int of 13 ameans that the languages he knows are Common, The Good Alignment Tongue and The Bugbear, Gnome, Goblin, Hill Giant, Kobloid, Ogre, Orc and Red Dragon

Cavaliers get Men At Arms starting at 4th level and finishing at 10th level, normally its random but as he's A Future King as long as he only recruits the country he'll 1 day rule at every appropriate level he automatically gets the maximum, no matter what at every appropriate level he gets a extra 2D3 Men At Arms and at every appropriate level for every point his Ch is over 11 he gets a extra 1D2 Men At Arms

This means that by the time he reaches 10th level assuming he doesn't lose or gain any Ch he could potentially have A Small Army of 248 1st level, 12 5th level, 3 3rd level and 3 6th level Men At Arms

When gaining retainers, as a example Armigers, he automatically gains them and gains 2 not 1, as a follow up for example he'd have 2 not 1 Armigers, and his retainers are always Fighters of this guys Level +another Level

Most good aligned Cavaliers can have up to 3 Henchmen more then normal but just like with his Men At Arms as long as he recruits every Henchmen from the country he's The Future King of he can have up to 5 Henchmen more then normal and unlike normal Henchmen and normal Pcs reductions in his Ch stat doesn't lower then number of Henchmen he can have

Technically he can have up to 5+5 or 10 Henchmen but technicallies the word, after all he's got 5 Royal Retainers that consist of Peter whose A 2nd Level Cavalier, Susan whose A 2nd Level Ranger, Lucy whose A 2nd Level Cleric Lucy, Jill whose A 2nd Level Magic User Jill and Eustace whose A 2nd Level Thief, and that's half of his Henchmen allowance used us

Belongings wise as his Social Class is automatically Upper-Upper and he's A Cavalier he gets a lot of stuff, not least of all is 1D8x10+100 Gold as well as Full Plate Armor, Shield, A Heavy Warhorse, several weapons and a few other bits, all of which are free

Add in his +1 Dex DM and he's got A AC of -1 at 1st level, add in A Initial Hp roll of 1D10+2+1 for his Con DM or 8+2+1 means that even as a newly created 1st level character he's got 11Hp and A AC of -1

As a future king more rolls on the charts The GM made, that I'm using to the pass the time because I'm bored, show that he also starts with 4 sets of high quality daywear, 4 sets of high quality nightwear, 4 months worth of high quality food, 4 4-pint bottles of very good quality brandy, 1D3+4 dose's of Holy Water, 1 high quality tent, 1 high quality bedroll, 1 high quality bullseye lantern that has 1 enough oil to last 1 year, 4 high quality heavy pack horse's and 1 very high quality light stallion

Yet more rolls show that cash and loot wise he starts with 1,000 Gold Coins, 1,000 Silver Coins, 1,000 Copper Coins, 500 Gold Coins worth of valuables, 2 dose's of potion of healing and 1 +1 Axe

Yet more rolls show that in the event that he's kidnapped the guys father has safely stored a ransom worth of the future King of The Worlds Smallest Nation that's worth 550,000 Gold Coins

I get to assign the values as I want and I go for 420,000 Gold Coins worth of magical goodies, 80,000 Gold Coins worth of cash, 18,400 Gold Coins worth of Jewels, 18,400 Gold Coins worth of Jewellery, 7,400 Gold Coins worth of a mixture of furs and pelts and 5,800 Gold Coins worth of other valuables

Illegitimate children can't inherit any title, especially not the throne, but the king, which doesn't all or even more of the kingdom tries to be kind about this kind of thing and in the very unlikely event that the guy has a illegitimate child, which can be a girl, the characters father/the illegitimate child grandfather, will arrange for his illegitimate grandchild, which can be a girl, to be made a fairly Baron or Baroness ruling A fairly large Barony, naturally in another country if possible
    Post edited by marshalljames1 on