Your thoughts on how completely secure both Delphini and Kai's jobs and life styles are?

marshalljames1
edited February 2022 in General Discussion

Can people give their thoughts on how completely secure both Delphini and Kai's jobs and life styles are in my mates 2nd edition Warhammer RPG?, naturally this was before Nina/The Thief rejoined after a abcense of 15 years, 2 months, 3 weeks and 3 days, below are all the examples I can think of

That time scale works out at her been absent from 11 days before her 7th birthday to 8 days after her 22nd birthday, a 18 day celebration to mark the return of the barons adopted sister who has been believed dead for well over a decade and the campaign starts 48 days later

Wages wise they get triple the normal yearly pay for people of their abilies, experance and training, so even prior to the start of The Campaign that's 50x3 or 150 Gold Coins each per Year

Not to mention Delphini has been given 5,100 Gold Coins to use to pay her Light College, once she's told that she has to pay them, and he Baron has already had Kai's University Fees of 1,365 Gold Coins paid off

They live in A good quality Fortified Mansion that's the size of A Tiny Castle and even though their Commoners that were once Slaves that were freed and adopted by the previous Baron after they saved the current Baron's life they live the kind of lives that all very minor and most minor merchants would envy

Along with their home they both get, to be honest now that Nina's back its they all get not they both get, 7 good quality and 1 very good quality personal Servants, 4 best quality meals a day, 4 2-pint bottles of very good quality beer a week, 7 sets of best quality regular clothing, 2 sets of average quality Nobles Garb, 2 best quality Light Riding Horse's and personal quarters that are bigger then some large house's

At the start of the campaign they will have finished roughly half of their training, meaning that, ideally, within 2 Years Delphini will be A fully Journeymen Wizard, Ex Apprentice Wizard and Kai will be A Fully Qualified Physician, Ex Barber Surgeon

Within days of finishing their training to enter, in Warhammer RPG Terms, their 2nd career they will both enter the  service to The Empire Most Senior Baron Empire and within another year, tops my GM mates friend says and I admit that he's right,  Delphini will be The Barons his personal Journeymen Wizard and Kai will be his personal Physician

Even though both Delphini and Kai will be no older then the day after their 25th birthday's and despite the fact that even within The Empire I estimate that theirs likely at least 2,200 people that have at least 3 times the qualifications they have they got the job because on a lot of occasions the 2 of them have proved their worth several times over

As 1 example the main reason the 2 got their jobs is because after they saved The Barons, at the tume The future Barons life, his father bought their freedoms then adopted them and as their his adopted brother and sister he knows he can trust them to risk anything, including death, for him but initially he won't know that about anyone else and its likely that he'd never know that for definite about anyone else

As well as which they've saved his life at least once, following the 1 time they definitely did this he had his father buy their freedoms then adopt them, so they know that if their in danger can trust him to risk anything other then death for them, which they won't know about any other potential employee and its likely that he'd never know that for definite about any other potential employee

As the adopted brother and sister of The Empire's Most Senior Baron if they knew were to look, what to look out for, who to ask and were to ask, and to be blunt initially they won't but their adopted brother will and its likely he's know for 1 year to 15 months, they will get marriage offers, sadly they won't be from heirs to titles but their are guaranteed to be a lot from the children of Merchants and Guild Masters

They may even a few offers rfom the children of nobles, but these will be noble born children that have so many relatives, by which I mean not just brothers and/or sisters, between them and the family lands and title/titles that they know they'll never inherit the family lands and title/titles

Those Noble Born Children that make these offers will initially do it for money and influence not love, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually fall in love with their husband, or wife, who decided that marrying The Adopted Brother, or Sister, of The Empires most Senior Baron is the best marriage they will ever get and is far better then any marriage offer their ever likely to get

Even if their adopted brother does find someone far better then them and somehow decides their almost as trustworthy, unthinkable but its Warhammer so it could happen, they'll still get to live in A good quality Fortified Mansion that's the size of A Tiny Castle, they'll still get all the stuff that comes with it, see earlier, and they'll still get a retaining fee equal to the yearly wage most people in their career that have their career, abilities and experance would get

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

The GM can always inject some kind of "shake it up" scenario ... like a global pandemic : ).  Or can choose to have it be a perpetually peaceful time period where none of the terrible things that could happen ever actually do.  So, I think this is kind of a discussion I would have with my GM.  And more specifically, I would share with the GM what I as a Player want the "secure-ness" to be.  Kind of a session-zero type discussion.  Do I want to play a game where my Characters are always on the run, pumped with adrenaline, staying just ahead of and outsmarting their enemies and pursuers?  Or do I want to play a game where my Characters are venturing forth from a stable base and doing heroic deeds with confidence and surety that they have a place to retreat and heal?  Either version could be fun, so it's up to the group which one we want to play.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1
    Thanks I'll tell my GM Mate

Can I have your thoughts on how Kai and Nina spend all of the 1st, if I remember right, 1st 6 years, 10 months, 3 weeks 5 days of their lives as Slaves and Delphini spend almost all of that as A Slave then they saved the life of a clearly rich kid who appears to be roughly the same age as them, he is the exact same age as them but they didn't know that at the time it happened

Following this the father, or was it the mother?, I can't remember, of the kid they saved the life of bought their freedoms then offered to adopt them, which they accepted, sadly it didn't last long for Nina, and despite them not even being 7, yet, both parents offered them jobs as their sons friends, companions and playmates

As a result of which when you take into the time it took to legally adopt them, but they would have been living with the family long before the adoption became official and as the guy doing the adopting is The Empires Most Senior Baron theirs no way it wouldn't happen, in the space of 3 to 4 weeks they went from being Slaves that were almost 7 to being The Adopted Children of The Empires most Senior Baron

That adoption means they have, sadly would have had in Nina's case, both A Adopted Home and A Adopted Family that was and still is comfortable, kind, warm, loving and caring, living a life that every very Minor Merchants in the world and most of The Minor Merchants in the world would envy and they were getting paid to be their adopted brothers friends, companions and playmates
    Post edited by marshalljames1 on
  • thaen
    thaen

Age 0-6?  I don't think I personally even have memories from that age range.  So maybe just some specific really scary memories that might have gotten in deep and still affect their behavior/decisions now?  Sorry, I don't think I'm much help there.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1

I've spotted several mistakes in my 1st post in this discussion and the pride I take in my work means that I feel obliged to post the correct version. Sorry

Can people give their thoughts on how completely secure both Delphini and Kai's jobs and life styles are in my mates 2nd edition Warhammer RPG?, naturally this was before Nina/The Thief rejoined after a abcense of 15 years, 2 months, 3 weeks and 3 days, below are all the examples I can think of

That time scale works out at her been absent from 11 days before her 7th birthday to 8 days after her 22nd birthday, a 18 day celebration to mark the return of the barons adopted sister who has been believed dead for well over a decade and the campaign starts 48 days later

Wages wise they get triple the normal yearly pay for people of their abilites, experience and training, so even prior to the start of The Campaign that's 50x3 or 150 Gold Coins each per Year

Not to mention Delphini has been given 5,100 Gold Coins to use to pay her Light College, once she's told that she has to pay them, Debt and he Baron has already had Kai's University Fees of 1,365 Gold Coins paid off

My GM mate says that the player that plays The Mercenary says that the reason The reason The Mercenary whose The Empires most Senior Baron made the payment in person  rather then letting Kai do it is because he didn't want to risk Kai getting mugged or robbed or having the cash seized by corrupt Watchmen or conned out of it

They live in A good quality Fortified Mansion that's the size of A Tiny Castle and even though their Commoners that were once Slaves that were freed and adopted by the previous Baron after they saved the current Baron's life they live the kind of lives that all very minor and most minor merchants would envy

Along with their home they both get, to be honest now that Nina's back its they all get not they both get, 7 good quality and 1 very good quality personal Servants, 4 best quality meals a day, 4 2-pint bottles of very good quality beer a week, 7 sets of best quality regular clothing, 2 sets of average quality Nobles Garb, 2 best quality Light Riding Horse's and personal quarters that are bigger then some large house's

At the start of the campaign they will have finished roughly half of their training, meaning that, by The GM's estimate, within 2 Years Delphini will be A fully Journeymen Wizard, Ex Apprentice Wizard and Kai will be A Fully Qualified Physician, Ex Barber Surgeon

Within days of finishing their training to enter, in Warhammer RPG Terms, their 2nd career they will both enter the service to The Empire Most Senior Baron Empire and within another year, tops my GM mates friend says and I admit that he's right,  Delphini will be The Barons his personal Journeymen Wizard and Kai will be his personal Physician

Even though both Delphini and Kai will be no older then the a few days past 25 years, 4 months old and and despite the fact that even within The Empire I estimate that theirs likely at least 2,200 people that have at least 3 times the qualifications they have they got the job because on a lot of occasions the 2 of them have proved their worth several times over

As 1 example the main reason the 2 got their jobs is because after they saved The Barons life, t the time The future Baron, The Future Batons father bought their freedoms then adopted them

The Barons thinking was and still is that as their his adopted brother and sister he knows he can trust them to risk anything, including death, for him but initially he won't know that about anyone else and its very likely that he'd never know that for definite about anyone else

As well as which they've saved his life at least once, following the 1 time they definitely did this he had his father, or was it his mother?, buy their freedoms then adopt them

That's how they know that if their in danger they can trust him to risk anything other then death for them, which they won't know about any other potential employee and its likely that he'd never know that for definite about any other potential employee

As the adopted brother and sister of The Empire's Most Senior Baron if they knew were to look, what to look out for, who to ask and were to ask, and to be blunt initially they won't but their adopted brother will and its likely he's know for 1 year to 15 months, they will get marriage offers, sadly they won't be from heirs to titles but their are guaranteed to be a lot from the children of Merchants and Guild Masters

They may even get a few offers from the children of nobles, but these will be noble born children that have so many relatives, by which I mean not just brothers and/or sisters, between them and the family lands and title/titles that they know they'll never inherit the family lands and title/titles

Those Noble Born Children that make these offers will initially do it for money and influence not love, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually fall in love with their husband, or wife, who decided that marrying The Adopted Brother, or Sister, of The Empires most Senior Baron is the best marriage they will ever get and is far better then any marriage offer their ever likely to get

Even if their adopted brother does find someone far better then them and somehow decides their almost as trustworthy, unthinkable in theory but its Warhammer so it could happen, they'll still get to live in A good quality Fortified Mansion that's the size of A Tiny Castle, they'll still get all the stuff that comes with it, see earlier, and they'll still get a retaining fee equal to the yearly wage most people in their career that have their career, abilities and experience would get