What should I do?

jmisthe08
edited August 2021 in General Discussion

I've agreed to help a mate by taking over as GM for his group that's just started doing 2nd edition WFRP, but I've got a very big problem. What should I do?

The problem is that his group are using Tables to determine things about the family and background of The Pcs

1 has A Human Mercenary who had A Mercenary Captain for A Mother and A Crime Lord for A Father and not only were both his parents very successful in their chosen careers they both invested most of theirs earnings in land and property and his fathers criminal organization

Not only were both his parents very successful in their chosen careers they both invested most of theirs earnings in land and property and his fathers criminal organization

Another thing is that The Human Mercenary is already rich beyond The Dreams of Most Earls and some very minor Counts

As it happens between them his parents bought a total of almost 20,000 Gold Coins worth of Land and Property and still had many thousands of Gold Coins worth of both cash and loot

By which I mean both of his parents were in their careers from age 17 to age 58, he got his parents combined fortunes in all 5 of Cash, Treasure, Land, Property and useful equipment as well as which he’s got 4 magic items, 1 magic shield, 1 dose of magic potion and 1 magic mace

He's also got his Mothers Mercenary Group and his fathers criminal organization, even at the start he’s individually better off them some entire groups at the end of a campaign and theirs no reason why he should ever joke about doing even a single days work

His Fathers Criminal Organization operated in The Lower-Middle Class parts of Aldolf, Nuln and Talabheim and a decent sized parts of The Countryside near those 3 cities

In all 3 Cities it was involved in Major Protection, Major Professional Begging, Major Thefts, semi-Major Contraband Smuggling, semi-Major Kidnapping, Moderate Drug Dealing, Moderate Armed Robbery, Minor Mugging, Very Minor Land Theft and he has 6 groups of 11 Outlaws that are  involved in Major Banditry

In total his organization employs 3,092 people and his organization earns him a minimum profit of 6,566 Gold Coins per year

I forgot to mention that in total The Human Mercenary earns a minimum of 7,960 Gold Coins per year and he uses 7,200 +153 or 7,353 of them to retain the services of roughly 63% of his mothers former Mercenaries

9 Mercenaries all with 6 advances each for 300x9 or 2,700 Gold Coins per year

3 Barber Surgeons all with 6 advances each for 300x3 or 900 Gold Coins per year

3 Hunters all with 6 advances each for 300x3 or 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Freelance Journeymen Wizard of The Lore of Fire with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Freelance Anointed Priest of Sigmar with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Mercenary Sergeant with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

On the subject of The Journeymen Wizard of The Lore of Fire The Human Mercenary gives another 153 Gold Coins per year to The College of Fire Magic

All in all that means that The College of Fire Magic gets paid 243 Gold Coins per year

Post edited by jmisthe08 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Is the problem that the Human Mercenary is so rich that he doesn't have a reason to go out and adventure?

I'd put it on the Player.  Ask the Player what the Character's motivations are for going out adventuring.  Maybe the Character wants to prove himself worthy of his parents.  Or maybe he's a thrill seeker and doesn't care about the money.  Or maybe he feels guilty about the things that generated his money, so he's trying to right wrongs.  Or maybe his parents made powerful enemies who are now focused on destroying the parents' legacy.  Or maybe he has "advisors" that have essentially taken over and sidelined him, so even though he has income on paper, it's all being cleverly diverted to the advisors, and no one is loyal to him.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jmisthe08
    I've just spotted a few things I missed out and A Few Mistakes. Sorry. Here they are

Also what do you think of The Career Tracks of The Pcs Mother and Father and bare in mind that at the time of theirs deaths they had both been in their careers for 41 years, 3 months, 3 weeks and 5 days

The Pcs mothers career track was Farmer-Initiate of Myrmidia-Mercenary-Mercenary Veteran-Mercenary Champion-Mercenary Sergeant-Mercenary Captain

On the other hand The Pcs fathers career track was Thug-Protagonist-Initiate of Ranald-Thief-Master Thief-Cat Burglar-Crime Lord

The Pcs Fathers Fathers Criminal Organization operated in The Lower-Middle Class parts of Aldolf, Nuln and Talabheim and a decent sized parts of The Countryside near those 3 cities

In all 3 Cities it was involved in Major Protection, Major Professional Begging, Major Thefts, semi-Major Contraband Smuggling, semi-Major Kidnapping, Moderate Drug Dealing, Moderate Armed Robbery, Minor Mugging, Very Minor Land Theft and he has 6 groups of 11 Outlaws that are involved in Major Banditry

In The 38 weeks between his parents deaths and now they’ve extended their operations to include Minor Drug Smuggling, Minor Half-Orc Slavery, being paid to commit Minor Beatings as a act of revenge and being paid to commit very Minor acts of Arson as a act of revenge

In total his fathers criminal organization employs 3,602 people and his fathers organization now earns The Pc a minimum profit of 7,808 Gold Coins per year

The Pcs Total earnings are a minimum of 9,302 Gold Coins per year

He uses 8,700 +153 or 8,853 Gold Coins per year of those 8,453 Gold Coins per year to retain the services of every single 1 of he former followers of The Pcs mother and to pay A Freelance Journeymen Wizard of The Lore of Fire

That leaves my character with 9,302 Gold Coins per year -8,853 Gold Coins per year or 449 Gold Coins per year

Every single 1 of the former followers of The Pcs mother are detailed below, as are their yearly wages

11 Mercenaries all with 6 advances each for 300x11 or 3,000 Gold Coins per year

3 Barber Surgeons all with 6 advances each for 300x3 or 900 Gold Coins per year

3 Hunters all with 6 advances each for 300x3 or 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Physician with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Freelance Journeymen Wizard of The Lore of Fire with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Freelance Anointed Priest of Sigmar with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

1 Mercenary Sergeant with 18 advances for 900 Gold Coins per year

On the subject of The Journeymen Wizard of The Lore of Fire my character gives another 153 Gold Coins per year to The College of Fire Magic

All in all that means that The College of Fire Magic gets paid 243 Gold Coins per year
    Post edited by jmisthe08 on
  • thaen
    thaen

Looks like a whole lot of story hooks just waiting to happen.  : )

Obsidian Portal Developer