NPCs gets really full

jodie
jodie
edited March 3 in Feature Requests

This isn't an actual proper feature request because I don't have a really clean idea of how to solve it. But my instinct is to add ALL NPCs my characters come across. But then the character section gets really full. I've painstakingly retired characters to a wiki page before to try and deal with it in a long running campaign.

Maybe a custom tabs option to filter them; even allowing me to default hide certain tabs. Like the characters who are under the Dead/Inactive/Retired tab/filter get autohidden. Then I could tab by region, or criminal syndicate.

Or an option to mark a character inactive so it doesn't appear unless a little link at the bottom is clicked (?includeInactive=true or something?).

Or the ability to add a css class to the wrapper element of a character so I can use the custom css stuff to do it. Just a wee input box at the bottom of the character.

Post edited by jodie on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the requests!

I think your instinct to add all NPCs is a good one.  You never know when you're going to want to bring one back in for an encore.

To my mind, what we really need is a template of some kind that enables easy creating Character groupings in WikiPages.

The Characters page itself is supposed to be an "index", like in the back of the book, where you can look up any Character by name.  Adding grouping/hiding would hinder that ability and make the page more complex to use.  The current Characters page is so close to what people want a grouping of Characters to look like that it's tempting to just push it to do just a little more.  But I think ultimately that's too much for that page to do.

I think if we had a template that had an easy way to present the Characters in the same "card layout" type format, then that would meet all of the requests like this and open up new creativity as well.

Until we can get something like that done though, you can do it manually ... so instead of moving "retired" Characters off, just keep only the "active" Characters on your WikiPage.  And if you build your own WikiPage with active Characters, you can replace the current Characters link in your Navigation with the Custom Navigation feature.  And then just put a link to the original "index" Characters page at the bottom of the the "active" Characters WikiPage.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jodie
    jodie

There's no easy way to pull in pictures and short description though right? It's going to be a list of names unless I manually embed pictures and whatnot?

That is a very cool workaround though.

• jodie
    jodie

I'm also not using tags to their Full Power. I think if I tag better it will be much more managable. Like tagging by 'active' and 'retired' would let me filter really easily. Thank you ^_^

• ragnarhawk

I don't think that it would allow pulling short descriptions.  Regarding pulling in pictures, however, I think that the page could have css that used the "avatar-hover" class to show the picture with the name (even when not hovering).

I also think that backlinks (what links here) could be a powerful tool for this sort of situation, if that feature were implemented.  While editing the character, add a link to the Categories page, and it should backlink in automagically onto that page.

• jodie
    jodie

ooooh smart thank you @ragnarhawk !

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I love tagging NPC's a DEAD, just to show the players how they have utterly failed to keep the realm safe and guilt trip them. The best way to deal with murder hobo players is to kill off the NPC's yourself and make it look like they could have prevented it. Soon the campaign becomes a race to complete the quest before the DM kills the entire world!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Heh, you might want to check out The Haunted by @LordMisha and see what really fun stuff you can do with dead characters...

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• jodie
    jodie

Frak that is deliciously mean.

UselessTriviaMan holy hell I love it! I didn't realise it put data attributes on the element! That's so freaking cool.

• weasel0
    weasel0

Some have utilized invisible characters like a space at the beginning of the name to force a sort. Don't know if the trick still works as it's been a long time since I last saw someone seriously hunting down any trick to force it but this was one.

• jodie
    jodie

Thank you that's handy

• thaen
    thaen

Yes, that trick still works.  A while back I thought it was a bug and almost "fixed" it, but then realized there were a number of GMs purposefully using it.

You can do multiple levels of "sorting".  All "1 space before the name" Characters will sort into the same group.  And all "2 spaces before the name" Characters will sort into another group, and so on.  I can't remember if more spaces sort to the top, or to the bottom.  Experiment a little to make sure you don't waste a bunch of time setting the spaces and then find you want them switched.

The spaces are ignored by the html/browser, so they don't show up in the display of the names anywhere except in the Edit screen textbox.

• jodie
    jodie

That's a neat trick.

It would be nice if that kind of grouping could be done by tag instead, people using a work around suggests a need for something.

• thaen
    thaen

Totally agreed that kind of usage behavior suggests a need for something.  The templates idea I noted above I think would both keep the Characters index page "uncomplicated", and enable GMs to fully customize the groupings any way they want.  I could definitely see something like a template that just takes a tag and builds/presents a grid of Characters that have that tag.  If instead we just add some grouping and sorting options to the Characters index page, I think we'd end up making the page complicated to use, and we'd continue to have requests for further specialized grouping/sorting.  Feel free to disagree if you see it differently.

• jodie
    jodie

I think you're right. Something really simple would be the only way forward. If I see some piece of UX that looks amazingly perfect I'll screenshot it.

• thaen
    thaen

That would be much appreciated, thanks!