Since I just didn't have enough on my plate (!!!), about six months back I started up a little side venture called Geek Trivia. It takes place at Games Plus One, our friendly local gaming store, and is (to the best of my knowledge) the only pub trivia event in town that doesn't actually take place in a pub. But the questions are all entirely geek-centric, so hosting it at a game store totally fits.
It's been going pretty well, and I've developed a following among some of the locals. I started doing themed nights once a month, and those have proven to be surprisingly popular.
Here's a sample set of questions:
1. Geeky Music: What legendary sci-fi actor released a silly little single in 1967 about a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins?
2. Animated Movies: What "nerdy" and "geeky" actor voiced Flynn Rider (a.k.a. Eugene Fitzhubert) in Disney’s Tangled?
3. Star Wars: We now know that the planet Mimban was where which two iconic Star Wars characters met for the first time?
4. Monty Python: What was the infectious name of the edifice where Sir Galahad encountered Zoot and her grail-shaped beacon?
5. Princess Bride: During the epic sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black, they mentioned four different fencing styles as they bantered. Name one of those styles.
6. Fantasy: What is the title of the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia series?
7. Star Trek: In which quadrant would you find the Klingon homeworld of Kronos?
8. Game of Thrones: In the gorgeous opening sequence of every episode of the Game of Thrones HBO series, four animals are featured on the title screen. What are they?
9. Board Games: In the classic Milton Bradley game Battleship, how many hits do you need to get to win the game?
10. Marvel: Elon Musk has a cameo appearance in which MCU film?
11. Sci-Fi Movies: In 2009's Avatar, what hyper-valuable and "perfect" theoretical element is Parker Selfridge of the RDA (Giovanni Ribisi) single-mindedly there on Pandora to mine?
12. Animated TV: Which Cartoon Network series that ran for ten seasons was all about a boy and his dog Jake? Oh, and Jake was also his adoptive brother. And mentor.
13. Ships, Weapons & Equipment: In the 1984 fantasy classic Krull, what was the iconic (but historically inaccurate) name of the five-pointed throwing star weapon? It certainly didn't look like a pole arm...
14. Video Games: What classic online RPG was Ben Schulz playing when he shouted out his now-legendary battle cry, "LEEROY JENKINS!!"
15. Harry Potter: In the seven Harry Potter novels, only one person was both a confirmed Death Eater, and NOT sorted into House Slytherin at Hogwarts. Who was it?
16. Monsters, Aliens & Creatures: We now know that, thanks to a cameo in a George Lucas film, the title character of which Steven Spielberg movie was a member of the Asogian alien race?
17. Sci-Fi TV: Voiced by the legendary Mel Blanc, what was the name of Buck Rogers' diminuitive robotic sidekick?
18. Lord of the Rings: What was the name of King Theoden's son and cousin to Eowyn and Eomer, who we only saw on screen at his own funeral?
19. DC: Which DC universe hero, who has striking similarities to Marvel's Vision, has a yellow arrow instead of a yellow gem in the middle of his forehead?
20. D&D: We all know the name of E. Gary Gygax, creator of the Dungeons & Dragons game. But what was the name of his partner and co-creator of our beloved D&D?
Geek Movie Crossovers: I'm going to name three movie characters. I want you to name the Star Wars movie character played by the same actor. (Example: Nick Fury. Nick Fury = Samuel L. Jackson, so Correct Answer: Mace Windu)
F1. From the Muppet Movie: Animal
F2. From Doctor Strange: Kaecilius
F3. From the movie Willow: Willow Ufgood
How deep is your geek knowledge? Post your answers below!
Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year
"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life." - - Kevin Smith
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!