Campaign Forum Dice Rolling Beta: Information and Feedback Post

Kallak
Kallak

Hey Obsidian Portal Community,

I'm re-posting the material regarding the beta release campaign forum dice rolling here so that it's easier to access; but also so that we have a space for user feedback and discussion. So please feel free to give it a whirl, try it out, give us suggestions, feedback, ideas, criticisms, whatever the case may be.

What are you talking about again?

As something of a new trial stage in our development process, we’ve released a beta version of a new feature for the Ascendant users out there (particularly play-by-post folks I’d imagine). This feature is live right now, and we invite everyone to try it out and give us your feedback. The feature: dice rolls in campaign forum posts of course! These rolls are saved to the post, have unique IDs, and cannot be changed or deleted by the players. There are also fudge options for the GM!

image image image

(wow, Thallos might just be in trouble there…) So how does it all work? As seen in the image, there’s a basic format to the rolls with the beginning of the roll being [dice] and the end of the roll being [end-dice]. The full syntax looks like this:

[dice]#d(type)(+- unlimited-modifiers),min=(fudge-roll-up-to),max=(fudge-roll-down-to)[end-dice]

That said, here are a few examples:

• [dice]3d6[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20+3[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20+3-1-1[end-dice]
  • [dice]3dF[end-dice]
  • [dice]3dF+1-2[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20+3,min=20[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20,max=5[end-dice]
  • [dice]1d20,min=10,max=15[end-dice]

The basic functionality for the rules regarding the rolls operates as follows:

• You cannot copy/paste a roll to a different  post, it will be deleted on Save.
  • You cannot copy/paste a roll multiple times in the same post, all but one will be deleted on Save.
  • You cannot delete rolls from a post that has already been Saved. They will be re-added at the end of the post with a message indicating that they cannot be deleted. This will occur on Save.
  • Only the GM and Co-GM(s) can fudge a roll. Any ‘min=’ or ‘max=’ entries to dice rolls made by players will be ignored on Save.
  • If a post has one or more dice rolls in it and has already been Saved, then only the GM or Co-GM(s) can delete it. Players attempting to delete such a post will be shown an alert indicating that the presence of rolls requires the GM/Co-GM(s) to delete.
  • If a fudge entry makes a roll impossible (ie, 3d20, max 2), the post preview will tell the GM/Co-GM. Should they save anyway (or not check the preview), the impossible roll will be replaced with an “ERR” entry.
  • Rolls with incorrect format will not be rolled, but will display an “ERR” entry.
  • Particulars of an “ERR” entry can be seen by re-editing the post and hovering the mouse over the message in the post preview.

Again, please note that this feature is still in the “beta” phase, and we encourage users to report any bugs they may encounter; as well as any updates they’d like to see, or other feedback they may have. This is your chance to impact not only the development of a feature on Obsidian Portal, but to impact the way in which features are developed!

All the best,
- Kallak

Inner Council Member
CotM Selection Committee
Writer/Editor - Words In The Dark
Obsidian Portal Community and Content Manager
GameMaster - Crucible of the Blacksoul (CotM for Jan. 2013)

Comments

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

We play Table Top and use real dice so I do not use the Dice Roller, but I am glad it is a feature.  

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Ohiogould
    Ohiogould

This is fantastic as we often cover things in the forums between session that benefit from dice roll!

• Mardey
    Mardey

Hey, I've just read the rules to use the dice roll and I noticed it's not very friendly for success counting, maybe there could be a fudge "type" that never ignores a 1 roll?

Something on the lines of success=(fudge-roll-up-to-unless-1)?

• Kallak
    Kallak

@Mardey, ooh, interesting point. Thanks for bringing this up. I'll take to dev side.

All the best,
    - Kallak

Inner Council Member
    CotM Selection Committee
    Writer/Editor - Words In The Dark
    Obsidian Portal Community and Content Manager
    GameMaster - Crucible of the Blacksoul (CotM for Jan. 2013)