File area

Comments

• Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    Is there (or could there be) any way to upload files for players that aren't suited to wiki reference? e.g. - my world map as a GoogleEarth overlay, various tables, etc.
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    I don't think that's available yet -- I think some folks use other services to host files, and then simply link to them in their Wiki. For example, DMaple (I think) uses yuntaa.com, which allows 1GB for free and more for paid accounts.
  • Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    Thanks - I just set up an account - it should provide enough storage for what I don't post in the wiki, I'll just have to work out how to provide direct links to the specific files.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    a href tags work in the OP wiki. Can't help you with figuring out usable URLs to your stuff.
  • Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    Um, sorry, I'm afraid that I have no idea what you just said. (I stopped learning to code stuff when I left DOS behind.) Actual URL links are causing me a lot of trouble (as per my thread in H&T) - can't seem to get the images to show up. I guess the feature I'd most like to see is some decent documentation. . .
  • redstar
    redstar
    well, Femmelegion's comment is partly right.

An "a href" tag is a tag used to call a website in HTML, a programming language supported by websites. Example "A" below would create a link to Obsidian Portal on a website. So to link to a file stored elsewhere on the internet (what you are asking), one could create a link like in Example "B" which would link to a word doc, called adventure hosted on obsidian portal, on a website.

Example A: Obsidian Portal

Example B: My adventure!

What you can do on OP, since it uses the "wiki syntax" and not html (well not entirely) is to do something like below. What you would need to do is replace the part after the colon with the url to your file.

"This is your next adventure!":http://www.yuntaa.com/adventure.doc

Let me know if that makes sense.
  • Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    Yup. Most of the trouble I've encountered involves syntax. As long as explanatory documentation is clear (hey, I _am_ creating a fantasy world. . .) I can normally grasp the command concept and usage. Sadly, the quick ref's simply show examples which aren't always intuitively obvious. (I have similar problems on the dev. wiki which is a lot more flexible and feature laden than OP's, but consequently even more confusing.) Per my reply in H&T, your suggestions led me to finding a workable lookup to paste an image into a page. The other thing I'm trying to do is simply provide a URL to download a file which for one reason or another wouldn't be inserted into the wiki, such as the GoogleEarth overlay hack. That file needs to be downloaded, then, once dbl clicked, invokes GoogleEarth automatically to open it and applies the overlay immediately. (You can then rotate, zoom, etc. the entire world map in a spherical projection, just as with GE and Google Sketchup will work to create and embed objects in the overlay.) I'll have to experiment a little - it may be possible to simply look the file up and open it directly from the storage sight without downloading it. Other executable files (like character creation spreadsheets or other generators) should work in the same fashion - and if I can actually block downloading, so the program must be used online, I can probably avoid legal complications from putting something like GURPS Char. Gen. (under copyrights) there since it won't be getting distributed, merely used remotely. Thanks for all the help everyone.