Creating and linking to new wiki pages

Comments

• Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    I've looked all over the wiki editing windows/settings and the Textile Quick Ref but can find no information on how to create new pages after establishing the main page, nor on how to link to/between them internally.
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    You can do that. The key to adding pages to your Wiki (say, linked from your Main page), is to tell the Wiki the page already exists.

Open up to edit your Wiki’s main page. Say you want to add links to “Inns,” “Ships” and “Rivers.” In your main page, type in each word, with double brackets on left and right for each. Then hit save. Your main page should load and you will see the links created in the main page for Inns, Ships and Rivers. You’ve told the Wiki that those pages exist, even though you haven’t done anything on them yet.

Now say you want to edit the Inns page to add links to pages for the Inn: The Rampant Dragon, The Crooked Orc, and The Drunken Fisherman. Click on the link to “Inns” on your main page. A window should open for you to add things to the Inns page. Do the same thing you did for the Main page—add the names of the Inns, with double brackets on left and right for each one, and hit save. You’ll now have the Inns page with the links for each inn.

Say you now want to add the description of the Rampant Dragon—who is the innkeeper? What kind of customers frequent the common room? How friendly is Bess the waitress? Click on the link for The Rampant Dragon on your Inns page. A window will open for you to add everything you want to add about the Rampant Dragon. Including, if you want, links to other pages.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Another note: If you want to have a link for Inns, but you want it to appear on your Main Page as "Places of Rest for the Weary," then type if this way: [[inns | Places of Rest for the Weary]]
  • redstar
    redstar
    In bevinflannery's example it would be:

[[Inns]] , [[Ships]], and [[Rivers]]
  • Snargash_Moonclaw
    Snargash_Moonclaw
    Just edited a couple - works fine. Now, can a link be set to a specific heading within another page? e.g., my deity write-ups are broken into groups with a separate page for each group. Each deity then has hir own heading on that page. For ease of reference I'd like to be able to direct the link from a deity's name when referred to in another page to the specific paragraph header in the appropriate page. The wiki I'm used to includes such link syntax, but also offers editing of just a specific heading's page section rather than the entire page (when you include more than 2 headings it builds a page menu automatically from them) so it may be simply more flexible than this one. What I'm trying to do is port a paired down version of "this":http://www.thecbg.org/wiki/index.php?title=Introduction_to_Panisadore to here, editing out info which I don't want players having ready, general access to. (That wiki's the GM's Guide to the setting and this one the Players Guide.)

Subsequent edit (082771912u):

A lot of my writing clearly shows that I'm used to writing for print format rather than web. This isn't such a big deal for the development wiki, but matters a lot more here. I'm attempting to make the players' info as easy to assimilate and navigate as possible so as not to discourage potential players. The internal cross linkage is critical to this, but some of my material could probably stand for further format editing as well. Any suggestions in this regard toward making the material more user friendly would be greatly appreciated. One specific problem I'm encountering, which is also problematic on the dev. wiki, is the database/ table-like formatting of the standard info leading each entry on the "Deities Page":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/of-poets-fools-and-madmen/wikis/deities . It doesn't really have to be a table, I'm simply finding it difficult to lay it out clearly in the manner which I wrote the original text in OpenOffice. Of course, format code from the dev.wiki isn't interpreted here - the '''*is bold*''' there for the field headers. Internal crosslinks from there are again obvious, as I'm trying to set up that page as fully cross referenced with the closely associated entries in the Orders and Societies Page in both cases. (Note the page|header pipe in the links - this is what I was referring to above. . .)

Finally, is there anything I need to do further to get the campaign included in the Campaigns list? It's already set to public access and publish, but isn't appearing in the listing yet, which I expected would be an automatically created entry. The campaign does show up on the map though.
  • redstar
    redstar
    bq. Now, can a link be set to a specific heading within another page?

It's usually referred to as anchor linking, and no, OP does not allow that yet. I would suggest making separate pages for each one. I did something like that "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/fogdown/wikis/the-undercity for my campaign.

bq. Any suggestions in this regard toward making the material more user friendly would be greatly appreciated.

I would take a look at other wikis for ideas on how to organize information. Tables can be handy, colored fonts, changing styles. Here are some examples that I hope help: "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/fogdown/wikis/upper-docks and "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/cold-blood/wikis/main-page