2 laptops, a beer, and how OP saved my monthly game session.

stumblewyk
stumblewyk
edited September 2008 in General Discussion

Comments

• stumblewyk
    stumblewyk
    Hiya.

I'm fairly new to OP, and have only recently started getting my campaign wikified (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/pelosia). I've been spending many an evening copying over archival content from an old website I managed for my players, and entering content into the wiki and the NPC Tracker.

Well, last week, in anticipation of my monthly Friday night game, I decided I was going to DM from OP. I entered my adventure into the campaign log, GM'ified it, and hauled the laptop off to game night.

As we were sitting around the table, and beers were being distributed, I set mine down next to my computer and begin the previous session's recap. My wife, sitting directly to my right opened up my miniature case (read: tacklebox) and knocked my beer over with the case's lid. As the precious Nectar of the Gods spilled out upon my keyboard I leapt up, grabbed a roll of paper towels, and started desperately drying off the laptop as I frantically powered it down.

Ordinarily, I'd have been panicked. "I've lost my adventure! GASP!" Ah, but one of my players said "You got that adventure online?"

"I do."

"Use my laptop." HUZZAH.

Fired his computer up, hit up OP, and logged in. There's my adventure. BOOMSLAM.

Thank you, Obsidian Portal. :)
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    But did your laptop survive the beer assault?!
  • stumblewyk
    stumblewyk
    Unfortunately, it did not. (And it was a work computer, too boot, or else I'd have likely tried to save it myself.)

I gave it to the IT guy on Monday, and he took the harddrive out, and plopped it into another laptop laying around with the exact same hardware specs, so I've got my data back at least. :)
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    At least you got your shit back.

OP should setup a "Testimonials Page" for stuff like this. Thats a good story. :D
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Or perhaps it needs to become a motivational poster: "Don't drink and dungeon dive!"
  • redstar
    redstar
    Yeah the fact that everything you need is online is such a godsend! It's allowed me to work on games from work, at home, and anywhere I go with a computer. As long as one has the maps, the minis and the books, you're good to go!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Stuff like this always makes my day :)

My laptop recently got stolen, and it was a reminder of how ephemeral those things are. If I had had my campaign info in word docs or excel spreadsheets (like I used to do), it would have been catastrophic.

Anyways, I'm glad we were able to help out. And with it being a monthly session (as opposed to more frequent) it would have been a huge loss to miss out.