Can CSS be used to overwrite tag functionality to boolean AND

Macrofarad
Macrofarad

Set-up: Right now, as far as I can tell the tag function for items and characters works on a basis of display all with any of the selected tags.  Viewing website source seems to confirm this as well.  (To make it easier, Filter class started around line 292 of items page source for my campaign). 

Question: Would it be possible to overwrite the filter functionality so that instead of displaying items that have tags A, or B, or C; it would instead display items with tags A, and B, and C.

Reasoning: This function would be of particular use to me as I imported the entire 5e plant compendium (we're talking nearing a thousand "item" entries) as well as many of my own creations.  Each entry has been set up such that by using tags, you can narrow things from category, to biome, to rarity, to specifics.  Example, plant, rare, swamp; or challenge rating, number, type (though there are much less of those).  This however is only useful if the tags are based on boolean AND, egg on my face there I guess. I'll figure things out regardless, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I originally submitted this as a bug, as it seemed contradictory to the purpose of a search, but apparently boolean OR is the original tag functionality.  Last bit, I'm a university student, I have a job, replies may be delayed a bit so don't worry if I'm not here for a day or so.

Comments

• Bortas
    Bortas

I support this whole-heartedly! Having the search function set to 'or' is silly in the extreme. I do not want an ITEM or a SWORD or MAGIC or FIRE. Imagine if, for example, Amazon's product search's check-boxes worked on an 'or' system.

'And' makes far more sense: I want an ITEM and a SWORD and MAGIC and FIRE.

Because I'm definitely looking for a list of swords under the items section, that are magical with a fire enchantment, not some items, and some swords and literally anything about magic, and some history about arson all mixed into the same search result.

-bort

Post edited by Bortas on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

I also support this, my tagging would be far more extensive if searches worked the way you are describing.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Useless Trivia Man approves of this thread.

(Why the hell am I referring to myself in the third person??)

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• weasel0
    weasel0

Because in the 4th person would be obnoxious.

• cgregory
    cgregory

If I remember correctly the original idea behind the OR search was to allow people to find things when they were not sure exactly which tags they needed to search for.  That said an AND search is generally more useful when you have a well thought tag system.

My personal thoughts would be that adding a toggle button/checkbox that flips between AND and OR searches should be a nice and easy upgrade to OP's search functionality that preserves the OR functionality and adds the AND functionality.

@Kallak perhaps you could bring up the possibility of adding such a toggle to the character and items filter.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Kallak
    Kallak

Sounds like a decent suggestion to me. Will do

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Macrofarad
    Macrofarad

Thank you all for your support, hopefully the devs will agree with the sentiment and we'll see this as a feature in the coming months. 

Kallak, If possible, let us know what the verdict is.  Cgregory, thanks for bringing it up to the right ears.

Note to future readers: if the devs do decide that it's a good idea to implement this it may take some time, be patient.