How to manage the global world settings

francescosetragno
francescosetragno

I am interested in managing not only the information about a specific campaign, but the general information on the world that the campaigns are run into (e.g. geographical information, chronicles, factions, cosmology etc.). Is this possible with Obsidian portal? It would be nice to have a general wiki and not only a campaign-specific wiki.

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I think I understand what you're asking. You're running multiple campaigns in the same universe, but you want them all to reference the same general world/universe material, right?

If it were me, I'd probably copy/paste the world info into each separate campaign so each group can only see what they've learned of the world so far. This would be the simplest solution, I think.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Bortas
    Bortas

I'd make a public campaign "Setting", then a series of campaigns for the different groups using this setting.

My method takes less time than UTMs, but it is ultimately less customized, and each individual campaign will feel like they impact the world less. So... I'd make the material on the centralized setting pretty general things when it comes to modern things.

-bort

• francescosetragno
    francescosetragno

Thank you for the suggestions! I am quite surprised that this is not a "standard problem", I mean, how do GMs usually manage their worlds?

• Abersade
    Abersade

Most of my campaigns take place in the same world but during different ages and/or in different places requiring an essentially all new wiki anyways. Some stuff ends up copied over and adjusted accordingly. Most is created new.

This has allowed me to build a very large very detailed world with approximately 15,000 years of history and lore. Which is great for my returning players but new players get totally swamped so it does have it's drawbacks.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Bortas
    Bortas

The basic simple setting.... I just cut and paste. But every campaign has its own uniqueness, so I end up just creating new for the new campaign, copy over the parts that I can.

Sure, talk about your country, that city, and cut and paste. But the specifics that make it relevant to the individual players.... too unique!

-bort

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I've run two separate campaigns using the same OP site. They happened just a few days apart and mostly had different players, but it worked fine. Like what the others have mentioned, if I were to run separate campaigns in the same campaign world and needed different OP sites for each, I'd just build the first one, then copy over anything relevant to the other(s) as needed.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life