Update #1 - March 5th, 2018

OPAdmin
OPAdmin

Hi Everyone,

As you can see we started a new category :)

The purpose of this category, as the name suggests, is to supply the community with a weekly update on what we’re doing to improve Obsidian Portal.

I’m going to start with acknowledging the concerns that have been expressed in the various threads.

1. The website being intermittent and having gone down earlier in the month.

The server had been taken down early last month on account of an oversight on our part, related to content that was covered under copyright laws. We did receive a notice and we did remove most of the content, but apparently we didn’t get it all and the server was taken down because of it. Please be mindful of the content you use in your campaigns moving forward so we don’t have these issues again.

Regarding the intermittent activity that occurred the last couple weeks, we had an expected increase in traffic load, which the server was not able to handle, we have since (as of March 1st) upgraded the server, which should resolve the errors that were occurring on updates.

2. Steps we are taking to address the core functions in need of repair.

I’m not going to nor do we need to list them out again, we will use this thread as a reference

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/4894/obsidian-portal-changes-and-updates-for-2018/p1

I have asked our developer to give me an in-depth overview of what needs to happen for each of these elements to be fixed so they can function as they once did. Once I have that from him I will share a fresh update with those details.

3. The Help Desk

We appreciate all of you that have been submitting tickets and we sincerely apologize for the lack of response. We have found some technical issues that created problems with how the tickets were routed, so they were not being filtered and seen properly. This has been fixed and we will be addressing/catching up on tickets over the coming weeks.

4. Staff Changes

As I’m sure many of you noticed, we have had many come and go over the years. We did have a dedicated team working on the site a year or so ago, but have since let them go as they did not perform at the level we expected or needed. Additionally, there is what we consider to be, mistreatment of the community, and there are a number of you that refer to this as Obsidian Fallout where users were banned and posts pertaining to tech issues removed. While we do reserve the right to remove posts, it should not have been done in such a manner that created a rift between us and long standing members. I can do nothing more than apologize for the behavior of these ex-team members and assure you once again that we will be transparent with everyone on updates, changes and issues moving forward.

5. We are Hiring!

We are actively looking for a couple of worthy candidates that can help us manage and support this community, with the opportunity to possibly branch into some of our other business units as well. I will be sharing more information regarding what the job would entail in the next 24 - 48 hours as well as instructions on how you can apply.

Finally, now that we have our support system functioning properly, I would like to ask everyone to please send any technical requests or account issues there. If you have tickets that are already submitted, please reply to those in lieu of creating a new one so that we don’t get bogged down with duplicates of the same requests.

Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas with us, more to come tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!

Jameela

Post edited by OPAdmin on

Comments

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Thank you. Even if we could have 1 a week updates (personally I think daily is pretty ambitious but I wish you luck) most of this rationale community would be thankful. It also takes a lot of courage to admit mistakes so I give my respects on that one. 

We want OP to succeed and continue being the our go to service to use for all of our campaigns. That being said I hope this is not going to be a thread of empty promises. We understand that things take time but people will eventually get impatient for visible results.

Well that is my two cents. Good luck!

• OPAdmin
    OPAdmin

Hi Jaymes,

We appreciate your suggestion and encouragement, this is a new thing we're doing and our overall goal is to stay transparent and communicative with everyone.

I agree that we should limit to weekly updates, more if new things happen in the middle of the week that's worth announcing. I've updated the category to reflect this, please check back in for more updates as we progress!

Thanks again!

Jameela

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    OPAdmin

edited March 6 in Weekly Updates

Hi Everyone,

As you can see we started a new category :)

The purpose of this category, as the name suggests, is to supply the community with a daily update on what we’re doing to improve Obsidian Portal.

So I am confused- will this be a weekly update, as the category states, or a daily update, as the beginning of the paragraph states?  

Please, please listen to the only members of the inner council that are left, Twiggyleaf and Kallak, and help them help you- that will be the best way to start.

You have lost a lot of us- you will have to prove some things before people come back.

Just trying to help out.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Uhm, KillerVP? I'm on the Inner Council, and while I did say I
    I wasnt re-upping my Ascendant, I recently just did so still here. And if this remains as they intend it to be and things start getting fixed, my Ascendancy will continue (I need to update Shadows and have no more space left under free :) ))

But, as a member of said Inner Council, I honmestly think listening only to them is not right. Not when the voices of the community are all pointing out the same issues anyhow

Post edited by Keryth987 on

• OPAdmin
    OPAdmin

Hey @killervp

Thanks for your reply and our apologies for any confusion, as the post above noted, we're taking the advice of Jaymes and switching to weekly updates, that being said if we have new things to share we will.

I switched the name of the thread but overlooked the text in my first post. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Keryth987, thanks so much for resubscribing! I agree that we shouldn't be in a vacuum where we ONLY listen to the inner council, that's not to say we don't appreciate your feedback and direction, but for the moment we're focused on the errors that are being reported on the forum by the rest of the community.

Thanks again!

Jameela

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Was not saying to only listen to the inner counsel was saying that that is a great resource to begin with

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I "get you" KVP.  As a longstanding member with not the greatest TECH skills, I tend to agree with KVP and I am open to contact from OPSupport on non specific issues with regard to getting a general sense of things, even though I know I can't speak for everyone.  

What I WILL say at this point is that the recent OPSupport activity is MUCHO MUCHO appreciated and will be welcomed throughout the site by most members.  We have had over two years of major disruption and the recent flurry of OPAdmin communication advising on fixes and generally making communication, is the best I have ever seen on OP.  I do not expect everything to be sorted immediately, but I can see that many issues have been attended to already and, I think I speak for most of us here, the improved communication is the most important aspect, moving forward.  Keep it up, OPSupport!  These forums have SO needed such input for SUCH a long time.  BRAVO!!!

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

My fellow "Inner Circle" colleague, Kallak, is much more TECH SAVVY than I and has worked tirelessly in support of this site.  I am sure he will agree with me and I am also sure he will be as open to helping as I am, although I will leave him to add his own "two cents' worth!"

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Kallak
    Kallak

I'm definitely open to help out in whatever capacity I can. There's a lot of great work starting to happen and if there's a way I can join in to keep that train moving, count me in.

All the best,
    - Kallak