Can no longer add links

Lwitherspoon
Lwitherspoon

First off: I am coding illiterate. I know how to do the things I use OP for, but I really don’t know the correct terminology for even that. 

I used to insert links into my pages pages that worked fine. Like

“Lovecraft Names”:http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/lovecraftian-names.php#.WoUi_WJOmEd

This would leave the phrase in the quotations as a yellow, clickable link leading to the invisible address following it. I am doing it exactly the same as always, but now it’s not working. It’s leaving the whole thing visible, in black, and no clickable link. The black text spills off the side of the usual (what do you call it?) text field(?) and into the margin to the right.  I copy and paste a link I saved this way a year ago, and that saves fine. I change the phrase in the the quotes. Still works fine.

The only thing I can think of that I changed recently is the width of my pages (in the CSS?). I used to have it zoomed out so that more was visible. I kept it that way for a few years. Recently, I set it back to default. I use an iPhone for all editing. I know this isn’t close to being ideal, but it has always worked well enough for me considering that I don’t have a PC or whatever they’re calling those these days. 

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Which editor are you using? To find out, go to Settings > Advanced and look at the Default Editor(WYSIWYG) drop down setting. I always use Textile, RedCloth 4. The RedCloth 4 setting is set in the Markup Parser drop down just above the Editor drop down. I know that Textile uses a link structure for internal links like this, [[general | general]], with one part being the display text and the other being the actual link. I think the part before the pipe | is the text display with the part after the link. You can also use the following for external links, "characters":https://kingmaker-150.obsidianportal.com/characters, which you are showing above. I'm not sure the other editor, CkEditor, uses that combination though as I don't use it, mostly because it has some bugs in it.

Thought of something else, you could also try HTML links, the format follows <href="link">Text</a>

That should work, but doesn't always for OP. Hope that helps.

Post edited by Johnprime on

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• Lwitherspoon
    Lwitherspoon

I’m using the same as you. 

The internal links with the pipes still work fine for me. 

I may play around with the alternate method you showed. But I’m really interested to understand why I can’t do what I always did before. 

• cgregory
    cgregory

A quick look at the link you provide as an example seems to have the wrong quotes.

You are using “ as opposed to " . You notice that yours have a slight slant. Replace the slanted quotes with the vertical quotes and you should be good.

"Lovecraft Names":http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/lovecraftian-names.php#.WoUi_WJOmEd

Since your campaign is private I can't check to see that you are using the same quotes in your campaign as your are in your example.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Lwitherspoon
    Lwitherspoon

Straight quotes. That fixed it. Thank you very much. I never would have noticed that. I wasn’t even aware of there being different kinds of quotes.

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

cgregory, you are the man! I didn't even notice his slanted quotes! I should know better! The slanted quotes will not work for web sites, and are usually generated by programs like Microsoft Word.

Whenever I received content from a business associate to be placed on the internet, I had to always double check to make sure the quotes were straight ones as the ASCII character is different for non-straight quotes and can cause weird output in the browser!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life