Merging Cells on Wiki Page

Miao
Miao

Hello!

I'm trying to make a wiki page for my character, and currently most of the text is in a table with two columns and four rows. I want the second row to span the two columns, to save on vertical space mainly, and there are only seven important fields, so let's use that column, you know? 

So I merge the cells in the WYSIWYG, and while that looks just fine it doesn't translate to the saved page. I've tried to edit in source as well, using colspan and extending the width of the cell, anything I can think of to get it to look right, but it doesn't display on the page correctly, with the text still smushed in one 'cell'.

I have another table on my page with the same issue. Nothing seems to work!

Any tips? 

Comments

• Bortas
    Bortas

The WYSIWYG editor seems to be a bit of a misnomer - it doesn't actually provide what you'd think it does. It is a more recent implementation and has some issues.

You'll find most of the old pros around here still use the textile editor, because frankly, it is less buggy.

Furthermore, regardless of which editor you use, "colspan" tag just isn't saved. However, using a textile editor, there are some handy things you can do with textile code with regards to tables:

|\2. spans two cols |
    | col 1 | col 2 |

|/3. spans 3 rows | row a |
    | row b |
    | row c |

You can switch to textile from your campaign page: settings -> advanced -> default editor -> textile. I hope that helps,

-bort

Post edited by Bortas on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

What Bortas said. I would totally recommend switching to the Textile editor - I use tables in my campaign a LOT!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Miao
    Miao

I'm just a player, soo... I don't know if I can do that lol

• Bortas
    Bortas

Oh nuts!! You can't change the campaign settings, only your GM can. You might talk to them about it, the textile is actually a pretty slick system, clean, low profile.

-bort

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I agree, I always make sure my campaigns are set to textile, if I'm not doing straight HTML, that's the editor I prefer!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

going to have add my two cents of using textile. The textile combined with the CSS does a MUCH smoother job.