Why do some plus signs (+) cause text to underline?

xaratherus

I've noticed recently that when I'm pasting in stat blocks that some (not all) text that starts with a + sign, such as +2 AC, will result in a random length of text after the + being underlined. Is the + an unmentioned markup tag or something? If so, is there a way to get it to NOT do that?

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yeah, plus signs are the markup tag for underlining.

But if the plus sign is stand-alone with a space immediately after, it won't kick off an underline tag. It's a bit of a pain, but not difficult. I've had to adjust a few stat block tables to avoid this.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Bortas
    Bortas

ins { color:inherit; text-decoration:inherit;} /* Plus sign no longer underlines */
    ins:before { content:'+';} /* Plus sign no longer underlines */
    ins:after { content:'+';} /* Plus sign no longer underlines */

Add to your page's custom CSS

-bort

• cgregory
    cgregory

Just to add to the code Bortas provided you may wish to add the following additional code to allow you to do underlines.

CSS

.u {text-decoration: underline;}

HTML

In this sentence <span class="u">underline me</span>.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• xaratherus

Thanks so much! This will make things a LOT easier :D

• xaratherus

Hrm. Follow-up and related question: Is there a way to stop minus signs from doing a strikethrough? I tried editing the same CSS from the + sign but it doesn't appear to have worked.

• cgregory
    cgregory

That would be because the + symbol uses ins while the - symbol uses del. That means you need to use.

del { color:inherit; text-decoration:inherit;} /* Minus sign no longer strikethrough */

del:before { content:'-';} /* Minus sign no longer strikethrough */

del:after { content:'-';} /* Minus sign no longer strikethrough */

if you need to use strikethrough you can create your own strikethrough class

CSS

.st {text-decoration: line-through;}

HTML

In this sentence <span class="st">strikethrough me</span>.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016