How to give players non-write permission?

Afterbusiness
Afterbusiness

I find out, that my players could edit everything in the campaign. I thought only the GM have the rights to edit. HELP! :)

Sorry for my bad grammar. 

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Part of the appeal of Obsidian Portal is that the campaign management for the most part is group based, so by default, anyone who is a player in the campaign site can edit the pages. I know of no way to keep players from being able to edit the pages. Perhaps one of the other OP uses will be able to tell you otherwise. But you do have a GM secrets section to most of the pages which players can't edit.

I've found that I can't get my players to post comments on my campaign sites at all, much less edit them. I don't believe you'll have to worry much about your players having permission to write on the campaign pages.

Post edited by Johnprime on

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

This has been a recurring comment by GMs new to Obsidian Portal. Johnprime is correct; players able to edit pages has never (to the best of my knowledge) been a problem. Like he said, getting players to actually contribute to a campaign site is by far the biggest challenge.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• cgregory
    cgregory

Using css you can remove the edit buttons for non GMs

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• cgregory
    cgregory

You simply add the following

.campaign-member div.wiki-page-container .icon-edit {

display: none;

}

.campaign-game-master div.wiki-page-container .icon-edit {

display: inline;

}

They are among us!

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Using the CSS is a good work around! Thanks for suggesting it cgregory.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• Krothos
    Krothos

Does this only affect the Wiki pages or all pages? I have a player that routinely adds the Adventure Logs for me while I keep the Wiki updated.

• Bortas
    Bortas

Keep in mind - that just hides the edit button. They could still enter the URL and edit away.

That said - its still pretty dang useful.

-bort

• cgregory
    cgregory

@Krothos

The code added above only hits the wiki, not the adventure logs. If you want to get really fancy and limit editing of certain wiki pages and not others you can by reading a little further below.

@Bortas

Completely true, that being said you could also remove the submit button on the wiki edit page also.

In fact you can even limit the editing of certain wiki pages, but allow the editing of others. It isn't as pretty but doable. You can't remove the edit button by page (as far as I can see) but you can remove the save button in the edit screen by page.

Basically it is similar to the above but you use form[action*="/post/your post name"] your adventure post page with the submit button to hide. And form[action*="/wiki_pages/your wiki page name"] to identify wiki pages.

.campaign-member form[action*="/posts/welcome-to-your-campaign"] .submit-button {display: none;}

.campaign-game-master form[action*="/posts/welcome-to-your-campaign"] .submit-button {display: block;}

.campaign-member form[action*="/wiki_pages/gods"] .submit-button {display: none;}

.campaign-game-master form[action*="/wiki_pages/gods"] .submit-button {display: block;}

So the above would block editing of the two wiki pages Gods and Welcome To Your Campaign.

If you set up a naming convention for your posts and wikis that are not editable by players you could use the above to identify pages based on those special characters (say GM_) with only one css entry for example action*="GM_" is looking for any page with GM_ in the title.

They are among us!