At Wits End With Double Brackets

JSalley

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but using the double brackets seem to be a hit or miss with me. This is what I have experienced when using them.

Sometimes when they are placed with text near an image they may or may not work right.

Sometimes when they are on their own line they may work or not work right.

I have tried copying and pasting the exact name from the wiki page i'm trying to link to

I have tried placing the link near different images (Sometimes the link works, sometimes it doesn't)

I have even tried so much as not having a page for the link so it would show up saying the page is not made yet and for some reason it's just treating this one specific one as just text instead of saying this is supposed to be a link to a page or this is supposed to be a link to a page that isn't there yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

When I'm linking wiki pages together through the editor, I always use the Textile (RedCloth 4) editor by the way. So what follows are my steps.

1. Make sure I have the wiki page I'm linking to finished.

2. I type in the copy that I use for the link, specifically the words I want to use. Say for instance I'm creating some pages for creatures in a game. I type in the link text and some descriptive text. (Brun (Bear Folk)  - A race of mutated black bear people.) I'm going to use the Brun (Bear Folk) as my link text.

3. I select the text 'Brun (Bear Folk)'.

4. I click the 'Wiki Link' button on the right hand side of the page. This brings up the popup window with the available wiki links.

5. I click the 'Insert' button beside the page I'm interested in linking to.

6. The editor will correctly change the selected text into the proper link and text I want.

7. So now the text I had typed in looks like the following. ([[Brun | Brun (Bear Folk)]]  - A race of mutated black bear people.)

I believe you have to make sure there is a space on either side of the [[ ]] brackets for them to work properly. But by doing it the way I described above, you should be able to create links with the editor that will work fine.

I'd like to know if that fixes your issue.

Post edited by Johnprime on

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• JSalley

Thank you very much for the tips, going to look into these suggestions a bit more. I did try out using a space in the brackets and so far that seems to be working nicely.

• Abersade
    Abersade

There are also a number of characters that break the textile functionality, see THIS LINK for a list of what works for links and what doesn't.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Great page Abersade, thanks for posting the link!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life