Importing from MediaWiki?

Comments

• maestrod
    I've been trying to see if I can move my campaign wiki pages in from my MediaWiki pages.

I see that there are differences in this "Textile" formating, but was expecting a smoother transition. I realize I'll need to change

"==header 2=="

to

"h2.header 2"

but many of the elements, according to the help links seem to be the same, including the bullet and numbered lists, but they don't seem to work as advertised.

The following page is basically a cut and paste at this point but I expected *something* to get formatted correctly, and so far it looks pretty grim.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/alia/wiki/campaign-web/alia-history

Any advice?
  • Micah
    Micah
    We'd love to offer migration help, but it's actually a very hard problem. Supporting a wiki-to-wiki converter would be very hard to write, would need to work with multiple wiki syntaxes, and would take time away from other features. Plus, it would only support people coming from other wiki systems, and do nothing for brand new users.

So, a full migration might be very difficult, depending on the size, scope, and formatting you've got in your other wiki.

The best advice I can give is try to do most of it with HTML instead of Textile. See if you can grab the original HTML from your mediawiki instance and just drop that in. Textile and HTML can coexist fairly nicely, and we do allow a fair number of HTML tags.

Hope this helps.
  • maestrod
    I don't really need an importer. I should be able to do most of the conversion with text macros. My only problem is things don't seem to be working as advertised.... or I'm missing something.

Actually I'm sure I'm missing something. I'd like to be entering "textile" formatting and it seems I'm stuck in a WYSIWYG editor of some sort. The problem seems to be it's taking what I type as literal text, when what I want it to do is interpret the text. My h1.Header ends up as "h1.Header" not any sort of bolded big font text like what I'm expecting.

Is there some way of getting out of the WYSIWYG editor? Besides using "show html"?
  • Micah
    Micah
    Ah, good call.

Go to your profile and click the edit icon. There should be a "use WYSIWYG" checkbox. Make sure all your players do as well. The WYSIWYG editor and Textile do not play nice.

Seriously, we should just get rid of that WYSIWYG. We added it as an afterthought, when we found that some people are really uncomfortable using Textile and a plain text field. Still, that editor is a major pain, and probably more trouble than it's worth.
  • maestrod
    Thanks, that worked. We'll see how the rest of the cutting and pasting goes.

I'm fine with the WYSIWYG editor now that I know how to turn it off. In fact I may even use it... but it's not so great for what I was doing.

On a related note, I was wondering about the name space on wiki links. Is it limited to the campaign I'm editing? If not, is it possible to link to other campaign wikis?