Formatting Videos?

Timephilosopher
Timephilosopher

I was wondering if anyone had put together a series of videos explaining how (with video) to change the formatting for the website? For whatever reason, I find customizing the formatting in Obsidian Portal incredibly confusing. I have some knowledge of CSS and HTML, but I am by no means a master.

I'm accustomed to working in fidgety forum-based sites for my games (various roleplay sites, or things like gaiaonline). I've used these no so that we can do online roleplaying, but so that we can track our pen-and-paper games. So, obviously, I thought that OP would be a great place to move to.

I'm constantly annoyed by how fragile the OP layout is. I don't, necessarily, want to edit the deeper HTML code for the site, I just want to be able to change the way a viewer interacts with a page on a superficial level. Between having to look up specific CSS coding, and trying to understand how the base site works, I'm unreasonably frustrated.

At the uncomplicated end of things: why does simple formatting (such as adding "_" to the beginning and end of a sentence), _sometimes_ make things italic, and sometimes not? Why does, in the editor, it show up as italic, and in the "published" page show up with the "_" visible and the italics missing? I can only conclude that it's user-error.

I'm entirely willing to admit that I'm probably misunderstanding something. I'm willing to learn, but I might need some hand-holding. Hence, searching for video explanations.

Some things I've tried to do and failed at miserably:

Insert videos at a smaller size.

Insert images which text wraps around (I've had... varying degrees of success with this).

TABLES (no, seriously, for whatever reason they're incredibly difficult to create/edit/maintain)

Create a "City Gallery."

Sometimes when I put links into pages it doesn't create a link? I've had to add the link multiple times to get it to work. Not sure why that is.

...There are other things, but I can't recall what they were at this time.

Honestly, using a simpler system that I could beat into doing what I wanted, was less frustrating than this "freer" setup--probably because I felt more like a problem-solver and less like an idiot.

Comments

• Timephilosopher
    Timephilosopher

And above, we have a good example of there suddenly being double-spacing when I hadn't intended it. Also some typos, my apologies.

• Timephilosopher
    Timephilosopher

Ok, so, the double-spacing may have been due to not changing the base "style?" ...I think. Or possibly the line height. Probably the line height.

• cgregory
    cgregory

Your issues might be due to using the Texttile editor on some campaigns and the CkEditor on others.

Personally, I use Texttile editor.

Some of you've tried doing

Wrapping text around image. Simply align the image to the left or the right.

Tables. There are two ways of doing them. Using html or textile

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• ketherian
    ketherian

HI Timephilosopher.

Welcome to Obsidian portal. There's a few how-to's on the forums, but mostly it's for CSS and all of it is in post form. If anyone knows of videos, please do point them out.

The new editor (CkEditor) is something many of us complain about. Like cgregory, I use Textile. I try not to mix too much HTML with Textile markup; but when I really want to force formatting - I use HTML coding. And even then, it doesn't always work. *shrug*

There are some wonderful sites that do a huge amount of stuff using CSS. But you're right in that it's not easy.

Is your city gallery much like the menu format on my pages? If so, I can show you the code to do that; but it involves code on the page as well as CSS. So, it can't be done unless you're an ascendant member.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

If you're wanting help with tables, I can probably offer up a few pointers. I use 'em a LOT.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Timephilosopher
    Timephilosopher

ketherian, I really like your menu format! If you could help me, I'd be really appreciative.

Gosh, thank you everyone! I really appreciate your responses.

cgregory, I'll be sure to check to see if I'm using Texttile or CkEditor in the future. Maybe that's where I'm getting tripped up?

UselessTriviaMan, I don't have any specific needs right now, but I'll message you when I have one! Struggling with tables is extra frustrating since I'm sure it's me whose confused. :)

• cgregory
    cgregory

You'll find that everyone is more than willing to help out anyone with questions. Trust me we have all been at the point where we had far more questions than answers. I remember a time when I didn't even know what CSS was.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016