Slugs.... How do they work?

cole_thearin
cole_thearin

So I'm trying to make some characters after watching the tutorial on it. I was not able to get what the slugs were used for and I could not make out what he typed in the video to try to copy it. If someone could help me on this I would appreciate it so much. What are slugs and what are they used for?!

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

Slugs are used to make links to characters or items on your wiki pages.

So if you had a character named John Smith, his slug would be john-smith (by default, you can change these). Then to link to him on a wiki page you would use [[:john-smith]], or [[:john-smith|John]]

There's also an insert interface on the right hand side of the editor with a clickable additive area.

Post edited by Kallak on
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • cole_thearin
    cole_thearin

Hmmm okay. And now I know this is going to sound so noobish and it is.... but how does one make a wiki page on this? I'm assuming the slugs do not correspond to actual wiki pages, but since I know 0% of what I'm doing I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it so much!

• cgregory
    cgregory

The videos that you are talking about are probably based on the Texttile editor. You are likely using the CkEditor so some things will be different. You can see which editor you are currently using in Settings -> Advanced and Default Editor.

Personally, I prefer using the Textile editor. The textile editor doesn't have all the WYSIWYG formatting, but it does have easier wiki, character, and adventure log linking capabilities that Kallak mentioned being on the right hand side.

So how do you make a wiki page based on a slug? Well a slug is basically a link. If the link leads to a page that exists it brings you to it. If the slug leads to a page that doesn't exist it will let you create the page once you click on the link.
    Post edited by cgregory on

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• cole_thearin
    cole_thearin

Awesome! Thank you so much! The textile editor is so much easier! Wow that helps so much! I appreciate all your help both of you! Cheers!