Scale for Donjon random world map

Doshi
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
Hi guys, does anyone use the random fantasy world map creator on the website http://donjon.bin.sh/ ??? I use it a lot, but I think I don't use a correct scale for a so large map. I opted for 1 hex = 12 miles = 8 Km, so about 1 full day of land traveling. Do you think it is correct? Does someone use a different scale?

Comments

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Not specific to that map creator, but the figure I've heard bandied about for how far a person can travel on foot in a day (in various role playing discussions) is about 30 miles (assuming fairly normal conditions over grassland/light hills). Of course straight and/or paved roads might increase that number a bit, and rough weather or terrain would reduce it.

Anyway, one day's worth of travel seems like a useful frame of reference, but you might bump it up from 12 miles.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I can concur that, after being recently involved in another forum discussion re miles travelled per day, the general concensus was between 25 and 30 (after various references). Personally, I work mine out on 25 per day.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I use 20. Round numbers for the win. 5 days to go 100 miles instead of 4. Ehh, just my gut.
  • BearerOfTidings
    BearerOfTidings
    Having hiked those distances with light gear and nice roads in good weather with the Boy Scouts, I would argue that 20 is the reasonable maximum for adventurers carrying gear and that it would drop fast after that. Spells might help in a fantasy setting. Horses would help, of course.

I have read several medieval military histories that indicate that 8 miles per day was the maximum reasonable distance for a 4,000+ man army, but they are talking about organizing thousands of people, carrying lots of gear, dealing with bad weather, damaging/destroying roads that were meant for far smaller numbers of people, scavenging for food, etc.

Stonewall Jackson's "foot cavalry" did better than that a few times but they had the advantage of very good roads, excellent knowledge of the local terrain, and helpful civilians who gave them food and water along the way, and the soldiers were exhausted the next day.
    Post edited by BearerOfTidings on
  • Doshi
    Hi guys, thank you for all your answers. I think I will use this scale 1 hex = 20 miles = 33km (round up) too.