Character Description

Jahad
Jahad
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Greetings,

I did a search and didn't find if this is an issue:

I am using the DnD 5e template for the characters; I have stuff typed in Description - however it does not show on the standard view of the character after editing.

Is anyone else seeing this ?

Comments

• Jahad
    Jahad
    It's the D&D 5e template
  • Unknown
    I don't use the template myself - have you tried to contact the creator of it?
  • Jahad
    Jahad
    I think he no longer works on it. I'm not gifted enough in coding anything more than basic xhtml - not the part of IT I went through.

Sadly this might be the nail in the coffin for me; with all the other issues - not really seeing the point of contributing $5.00 a month for something that seems to have been broken since it's launch. I recognize this is not your fault alex. I think you would be better off to call a spade a spade, give everyone complete access for free - scrap and redesign the whole concept with input from all users and do it right...document etc.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    If I remember correctly, description has never been shown in character templates because the Description is for "For stats, AC, HP, weapons, reflex saves, and other crunch" which is basically what the template displays. The template replaces the description field.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Jahad

If you are using the one of the DSTs, then what cgregory says is correct.
    You need to ignore the Description Box (dedicated to setting up the DST info above) and instead, use the BIO box below it.

I think most of us found this out the hard way, so you are not alone. ;)

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Unknown
    That still just seems odd to me, so I want to look into this some more. It seems silly to have a spot for content on a DST that isn't going to work.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    I can think of a couple reasons off the top of my head as to why you wouldn't want the description appearing in the DST. Or by the same token remove it from DST.

If you use DST your character's stats don't get backed up using the backup function, but if you use DST and place stats in the Description area you can have a backup of you characters stats without them being displayed twice in the character sheet, once in the description and once in the DST.

Also if you start a campaign in a system that doesn't have a DST, which later on has a DST created you want to try it out you can still keep your old character description and easily revert back to it if you find the DST isn't for you. If description is shown then you need to delete your old character stats otherwise it gets displayed twice (or you lose it if you decide to remove Description altogether)

They are among us!

• Jahad
    Jahad
    Thank you, I appreciate all the feed back. I see all sides. In the meantime, is there a custom css that hides the bio area in a given DST? That way it's just a blank box for what ever.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Are you just wanting to remove the Biography label on that above the box?

div.biography.cols-12.cols-border-box.clearfix h3{
    display: none;
    }

That will remove the biography label. And anything that you put into the biography tab when editing the character will be displayed in that space as usual.

"Here is an example":https://cults-of-the-apocalypse.obsidianportal.com/characters/vil-helm-grimm

He basically put his background traits in there.

They are among us!