Mini-Message Board

RobJustice
RobJustice
edited July 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Alright, this is going to be a hefty request but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

I've started to integrate Play-by-Post into my games but I have to use a separate site for it. It would be really cool if we could have a tab for a mini-message board system on the campaign site. That way the PbPers could have their posts and campaign resources all in one place. Like I said, I know this is a pretty major request but I think it might be something worth looking into for the future of the site.
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Really? I'm the only one who thinks this is a groovy idea? No one else has any feedback?
  • dm_punks
    dm_punks
    No self-respecting PbP system would be caught dead without a built-in dice roller as well. Bonus points if rolls Savage Worlds dice. :)
  • Micah
    Micah
    Ah, but this is not a PbP system. It's meant to support RPGs played in the classic analog paper-and-pencil style.

As to the original request, it's a good idea. I'm hesitant to promise anything, as good, usable forums are not a trivial thing to make. The forum we're using right now I didn't even write. I just tried to shoe-horn it in a bit.

From a development side, OP is already a blog + wiki, and that's hard enough to support. To become a blog + wiki + forum would be even harder. I really want to avoid being a conglomeration of mediocre services, and instead offer a few very good services.

Still, it is a good idea. I can't deny that.
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Of course its a good idea, its MY idea. :D

I understand the concern and as I said before I know its a big ass request. Not the kind of thing I'd expect to get implemented any time soon. But maybe something to put on the to-do list after you've got the blog + wiki chunk to where you want it. And really, for PbP stuff you wouldn't need an elegant forum system. Minimal styling, a simple post-reply setup. Not to terribly hard to code (I've written very simple Support Ticket systems built around the same idea) and as long as you keep it simple it should serve its point.

As for the inclusion of a dice roller, that would be handy as well and still fairly simple to code (even for Savage Worlds). Simply denote starting and ending tags to watch for, insert your typically #d# and have the system insert the results after the displayed denotation. Then after have the algorithm remove the code string and replace it with the hard text and viola, insta roller. Of course the issue will arise of players cheating but I don't think thats something you need to worry about from a site side. Thats GM\Player trust and thats the groups problem. Hell, I let my players roll their results and simply post what they rolled. Trusting they won't lie to me :D

Like I said though, this is a pretty big undertaking and not something to step into lightly. Still, I think it would be a much appreciated feature for the site. :D
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I just found a Project Wonderful ad for LaughingStick Forums. It looks like they fully intend to support PBP games. Folks who were interested in having such a resource available to them may want to check it out.

I've also pimped ObsidianPortal to the people over there. Just call me Dolly Levi. ;)
  • Micah
    Micah
    As always, thanks for talking us up :)

Word of mouth is pretty much our only advertising!