A change to how the Filter works for the Characters page.

arcticnerd
arcticnerd
edited August 2015 in Feature Requests
Hello, so I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I couldn't find anyplace better.

Basically the way the Filter feature works on the Character page seems backwards. Instead of narrowing my selection each time I pick a tag is expands it.

For example: Say I have 4 kings (two Irish, two British) and 2 Irish Knights (who are not kings) on my characters page. If I filter for Kings all 4 kings will show up, but if I select Kings and Irish instead of displaying the two characters who are both Kings and Irish it displays all Kings and all Irish characters. So it would show all 6 characters.

Simply put if I select more then one tag is should display all characters who have all the tags selects. This is how most multi-tags search work. This seem like a relatively easy fix and should make the Filter feature easier to use.

Hopefully I explained myself fully.

Comments

• Unknown
    You are welcome to post them here and in the Suggestions section of the Help page. I also agree with you 100% on this, and I think most of the community does as well. We obviously need to resolve some of these outstanding bugs first and foremost, probably most notably the email issues, but I do want this to be put into the features line once that is squared up. It will make character search infinitely more useful.
  • arcticnerd
    arcticnerd
    Cool cool. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Warenhari
    Warenhari
    Yes, the search/filter option need improvement but not by simply inverting the way it works - it'll make it simply useless in inverse group of cases it is now, and that's not an improvement.

Just to notice, that after this suggested 'fix' there will be no option to display characters from two groups (two different tags) at once. Just a remainder before there will be cascade of forth and back fixes.

It's something different to +search+ and to +filter+. While searching, you expect closest match and by default you expect 'AND' operator, but on filtering it's expected to be 'OR' - like so common Excel quick filtering.
    Suggested improvement might be to enter two tags into search field and have it searched the way you describe - characters both having tag A and tag B - at the moment, a single tag search works like a charm, but finds nothing while searching for multiple tags.
    Post edited by Warenhari on
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    This was reported immediately after the Reforge too, that the Search uses OR instead of AND. It was reported as a bug because it *used* to work like most search engines and use the AND approach.

Warenhari does make a useful point. Should a filter be broken out from Search? Should Search provide a means to choose OR or AND in your search results? Not sure of the right / best path, but each possibility is worth considering in my opinion.
  • Unknown
    Very good points indeed, I'll be sure to have a talk with tech about this to see what might be the optimal approach to Search and Filter here on OP.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Why not offer both? A simple checkbox or dropdown menu could implement an option to switch between parameters. Just make sure the default is clear (and could even possibly be altered by a GM in the settings).

And thank you Warenhari for the helpful clarification.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Bortas
    Bortas
    Yeah, both! A radio button AND/OR would be useful from our end.

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
    "EIDL":https://eidl.obsidianportal.com