Intellectual Property

Pablo_Larenas
Pablo_Larenas
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
Hello guys. I read the terms of service, but I still have questions about Intellectual Property of us (GM) :
If a upload a map or an illustration made by me, I'm the only keeper of the Intellectual Property of that material?
(I know you can use that material for promotion, but only for that?)
What about the story plot or things like that?.

Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Per the terms and conditions you have it pretty spot on. You would keep any Copyright or Trademark that you have on the material you post. Of course, simply posting something does not actually grant you any kind of Copyright or Trademark on the content you have posted (you only have such if you actually file to have such, though it would give you some grounds of legal precedence if someone were to try and steal it as you would have a verifiable record of when your content was created - things relating to Copyright and Trademark can get a little crazy when it comes to no one actually holding filed rights). This is fairly clearly covered in legal speak in the ToS in section 5:

"Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As AisleTen asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by ObsidianPortal.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify AisleTen in accordance with AisleTen’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act (”DMCA”) Policy. AisleTen will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of AisleTen or others, AisleTen may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, AisleTen will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to AisleTen."

This clause basically gives you the right to contact OP if you find that your intellectual property has been taken and used elsewhere on OP. They do not express any warranties or protections beyond this, and as such if someone were to steal your work and post it on some other site OP would not have a legal obligation to assist you in dealing with said infringement. However, should that content be posted elsewhere on OP they have declared that they will give best due effort to assist you in dealing with the matter. This is fairly common with any company you may post content to on their website as it is not their job to protect your interests though most will give due dillagence when said infringements happen on their own services due to the legal throwback that can happen in those instances if they do not at least assist and essentially properly comply to copyright violation claims (this would be akin to any company who makes an RPG reaching out to OP for much the same).

This in turn mixes in with the Privacy Policy on OP which basically goes through and states the details on how OP may use the information you decide to post on the services in far greater detail than provided in the Terms of Service. To touch on your secondary question, the protections that are provided by OP relate to any content you post to the services including text, images, etc.

Finally, in closing, I feel it is only right to point out the fact that I am in no way a lawyer and the details provided in this post in no way warrant any kind of actual legal advice or counseling. This is all just based on my own experiences in working with Copyright and Trademark laws in regards to other projects I have worked on in the past and websites that I help to manage. When seeking any kind of clarification on legal details it is always advisable to reach out to a lawyer for a more appropriate representation of the legal details. Either way, I do hope that this might help to shed some light on the details you were looking for.

--
    Alex
    "Dragon Age: Requiem":https://dragon-age-requiem.obsidianportal.com/