Campaigns With "Risque" Themes

BrendonMize
BrendonMize
edited September 2014 in Campaign Portal Building
Me and some friends are interesting in doing some World War II (D20 modern) campaigns, and do "what if" scenarios with Various axis and allied powers. We, of course, would like to start off with the Third Reich. Would having Third Reich personas on OP be a violation of ToS?

Comments

• Basileus
    Basileus
    My two cents:

Terms of Service specify it this way: "Content is not obscene, libelous or defamatory (more info on what that means), hateful or racially or ethnically objectionable, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party"

Its a matter of presentation and intent. In a historical (or semi-historical) WWII campaign, having Nazi characters and images of Panzer tanks is probably fine - where as anti-Semitic rhetoric and Nazi swastikas pasted all over a campaign site is probably not.

Just my opinion. But people can be weird about that sort of thing. If in doubt, don't make those pages public.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I think Basileus' advice is good. I do believe in "FREEDOM" but your theme is such a touchy subject that can get so many people seriously riled, best to err on the side of caution.

Things like Nazism, racism, child molestation - all you have to do is mention them to ellicit stabbing eyes of zealous inquisitors. I can even feel their piercing gaze now. Do you feel it?

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• MachineGunHarry
    MachineGunHarry
    Twiggyleaf makes a good point. Possibly the approach is to go forward using the words Third Reich over Nazi. So what if its not historically accurate when you come up with another nickname for your Nazi party (i.e. calling them Schädzis after the German word Schädel, meaning 'skull'). This way you don't incite certain feelings, but still able to preserve literary freedom.

@twiggy: are you voting YES this week?
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hey, Harry, I use a postal vote and have already voted YES! There is a feeling of change in the air and it is about time.
    I will abide happily with either result but I am hopeful.

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• BrendonMize
    BrendonMize
    Ok, thanks. It isn't going to be a "white power" type of thing. Just wanting to roleplay some history with twists. Eventually going through each "faction."

Thank everyone for their input.