New Feature - PC/NPC quick lookup

Micah
Micah
edited June 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Micah
    Micah
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's a real pain to have to keep switching back and forth between the wiki edit screen and the NPC list in order to find the right slug/id in order to add wiki links to my characters.

So, since I got tired of this, I went ahead and added a PC/NPC link lookup sidebar panel. It will have all your PCs and NPCs in there. Select the one you want to link and the link text will appear below. Just copy and paste that directly into the page/post and you're good to go. You can also edit the text after the vertical bar "|" in order to change how it's displayed on the page.

I hope this helps. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it better, be sure to let me know.

P.S. Before anyone asks, having it paste automatically is kind of difficult, and having it copy to clipboard automatically is practically impossible (due to browser security restrictions).

I will be rolling this feature out sometime tonight, or perhaps tomorrow morning.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    Hey, that is _cool._ Thanks Micah!
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    Thanks. This will be a big load off. At least one less tab open, anyway.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Yep, one less tab. That's exactly what I was dealing with.

Now...what are the other tabs _you_ have open? That might help me figure out what next to simplify. Is it trying to find the names of wiki pages?
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    The wiki page list is usually the other tab I have open.
  • Micah
    Micah
    bq. The wiki page list is usually the other tab I have open.

That's sort of what I expected. Either that or the Hypertext d20 SRD.

Anyways, adding a wiki page quick-lookup is the next logical step. If I get a chance sometime soon, I'll toss it in there.
  • redstar
    redstar
    Wow, this is cool. I often do the same as above: wiki, NPCs, SRD, and the page I'm editing.

bq. Is it trying to find the names of wiki pages?

Yes. Yes it is.
  • Micah
    Micah
    As an aside from the topic at hand, let me just note how much easier it is to improve software that I use myself on a daily basis. I can quickly see what works and what doesn't since I'm a user just like anyone else.

You'd be surprised at how much software is written where the developers never once actually _use_ what they've made. We're all supposed to do usability testing, but that takes money and time, both of which are usually in short supply on these sorts of projects.

Keep the ideas coming!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I just used the NPC lookup for the first time yesterday and I really enjoy it. Thanks!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Ok, I just added the wiki-link quick lookup. Any more Firefox tabs open that we need to work on?