Returning Post-Reforging

RobJustice
RobJustice
edited December 2013 in Campaign Portal Building
I'd been away from Obsidian Portal for awhile now. Last I saw it was pre-reforging and I was excited to see the changes. Overall, I'm really impressed with the new look. I have a couple gripes, but I think for ever complaint I have there are two compliments to be made. That said, my two biggest gripes are with how certain things look overall. First, some sections don't match up. The front page, adventure log, wiki, characters, and maps sections all match and flow, but the dashboard, forum, calender, and settings suddenly shoots me to a different look. Now, I understand a OP themed look for the dashboard and settings, but the forum and calender are really jarring to switch to. I'm curious what the design decision was and why this decision was made?

The second thing involves the banner images; I like the new longer thinner banner space but I hate how it crops the image down for sidebars and profiles. I feel like I can't utilize the margins of my banner since their going to get cropped out. I had to do some odd measuring and sizing to get a banner that is mostly (not even completely) crop free. I feel like the banner is the logo for my game and the cropping is murdering any branding I'm trying to do here. Is this something that's going to be addressed or is it a limitation I'm going to have to live with?

A totally unrelated question: Is there any plans to do anything that integrates with Google Hangouts? Or does anyone know of anything that does? I'm looking at running games online and right now the only Hangouts app I can find for gaming is Roll20, which is a bit more mapping focused on what I need. Really, just a way to pull up and display wiki pages to my attendants would be amazing.

Just so this post is just questions and complaints: I freaking love the new characters section. The overall layout is so much cleaner overall and the custom backgrounds and built in styling has really removed a lot of my custom CSS (which is a very good thing!) I'm very happy with the reforging and glad I funded the kickstarter!

Comments

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Welcome back! Good to see another return post-reforge.

As far as your issues are concerned, there are many forum threads that have begun to address the changes, and some that are still being discovered and tweaked.
    Right now, CSS is the end-all-be-all for fixes, and if you have any particularly nagging issues, chances are good you can find a forum thread on it.
    Alternatively, you can post a help request in the new Vanguard Assistance category, and one of those amazing Vanguards can help smooth out your campaign code/design.

_~Mae_
    "Whispers in Tamris":https://whispers-in-tamris.obsidianportal.com/

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Lets start with what CSS can't do: It can't change how banners are cropped outside of my campaign (ie: on the Profile pages) and it can't integrate OP with Google Hangouts.

CSS could, in theory, be used to make the forum and calender look more like the other pages, but that's a massive overhaul and if there are plans to get those pages to conform it means my work will only be temporary and would likely be broken in a future update. So, that solution creates a massive amount of work right now, and then even more work to undo my changes if those pages are ever "fixed".

I'm sure the Vanguards know their stuff, but I'm no slouch when it comes to campaign code/design. My questions are more directed towards long-term direction and implementation of the site and what my expectations should be.