What`s your favourite super-heroes game?

ninjazombie42
edited November 2013 in General Archive
I really love Truth & Justice and its take on the the PDQ-system. It`s really great!:)
Necessary Evil looks fun too, I like savage worlds!
I`m curious about Mutants and Masterminds, but I think it might be a bit crunchy for my personal taste. Does it use combat crids? How big is the character sheet?

Comments

• wolfhound
    wolfhound
    If you prefer less crunch, do you like (or are you familiar with) the FATE system and its derivatives?

Margaret Weis Production's Marvel Heroic Roleplay game is a fairly crunchy derivative of FATE (it has many mods such as using polyhedral dice and a few other changes... but even a "crunchy" FATE derivative is less crunchy than M&M) - also, it has licensing support and featuring Marvel heroes is always a big plus. Supplements include things like the Civil War story arc.

"Marvel Heroic Roleplay Basic Game":http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Heroic-Roleplay-Basic-Game/dp/1936685167

Personally I've come to enjoy a house-modified ICONS (this is closer to basic FATE that people might recognize from Dresden Files RPG/Spirit of the Century/etc.) - This is less crunchy than Marvel Heroic Roleplay.

"ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying":http://www.rpgnow.com/product/81475/ICONS-Superpowered-Roleplaying

My own personal "ICONS" notes are here (I haven't fixed the site since the Obsidian Portal "Reforged" Went live but the content is unchanged)
    "Uncanny":https://uncanny.obsidianportal.com
  • ninjazombie42
    Marvel Heroic Roleplay is actually in my shopping cart too, with M&M, but not sure if I`ll checkout and buy just yet:p

FATE may not be crunchy, but it seems more rules heavy than PDQ. I have the FATE core book and there seems to be a lot of rules, only in different areas than we are used to! Am I right? I love systems that incourage improvisation, using or not using the rules as you see fit and freeform roleplaying. I like rules that are very simple, fluffy and intuitive. Short character sheets and no combat grids are big bonus!
  • ninjazombie42
    And thanks, man. Just bought the ICONS-pdf!
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Awesome. I enjoy ICONS, I don't have a base of comparison with PDQ so not sure if my observations would be useful to you there.

As for FATE Core ... that book does seem "rule speaky" but I would say the mechanics are actually quite transparent in play. I got into Fate with generation 3 (Dresden Files RPG and Spirit of the Century) and the FATE Core book is 4th Generation.

ICONS was derived from generation 3 FATE.
  • ninjazombie42
    Thank you, you have been helpfull! Btw. did you know if m&m had grids and how big the character sheets are?

As of now, I think I`m sticking with Truth & Justice and its take on the PDQ-system, it really seems to be the game for me and my style!

Check out PDQ rules here: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

and Truth & Justice review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC5O5IZTF-s
    Post edited by ninjazombie42 on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    M&M's character sheet is a couple of pages, and I really quite liked the system for building unique and interesting super heroes, but it's probably more rules heavy I think than you're looking for, looking at the PDQ rules there. The couple times that I ran it, we didn't use a battle grid or anything like that (although I believe you COULD use one if you wanted too).
  • ninjazombie42
    So the game does not assume that you do? No, I don`t want to use grids if I don`t have to. I want a fluid and freeflowing, narrative theatre of the mind kind of combat and conflicts or challanges, not thinking about distances and movement as set measurements.
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    As an aside - one major appeal to me of Mutants & Masterminds is the DC Adventures supplement ... which as far as I know is standalone (being basically Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition).
  • The_StatMonkey
    The_StatMonkey
    So,

shameless plug...

have any of you looked at Rotted Capes?
  • ninjazombie42
    Shameless plug? If it is a supers rpg it is on the subject, isn`t it?:p
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    Champions by Hero Games is pretty awesome IMO.
  • ninjazombie42
    I`ve got the Marvel Heroic RP now. Browsed through it a few times. Littlebit confused on how character building works... It kind of looks like they expect you to play an already existing character in the marvel universe.
  • Ludanto
    Ludanto
    Yes, *MHRP* does pretty much expect you to play an established character. That said, it's not too hard to cobble the pieces together to make your own stuff. I think there might even be some guidelines for that, either in the book or maybe in a downloadable file (although maybe I just read those in a forum post somewhere.)

My favorite super-heroes game is *Capes*. It lets you play any kind of super-heroes, even in the same story, and it supports comic-book drama just as well as city-leveling fights. If I can find where I put my book, I'm going to try to get some friends to play in a few weeks.
  • The_StatMonkey
    The_StatMonkey
    I designed the system and Wrote chunks of Rotted Capes..

Thus, shameless plug :P
    Post edited by The_StatMonkey on